Logo

HEAT EXCHANGER LIFE

chuck

" Hi, I hava an older Marcruis

" Hi, I hava an older Marcruiser 165 with closed cooling system. The heat exchanger gets raw sea water that then cools the manifold before getting dumped to exhaust.I have used this boat 7 years in salt water on the East coast. Most of the time the system was flushed with fresh water after use.I do not know how old the exchanger is because i purchased the boat used.Should i think about just replacing it, or wait till some sign of failure. The manifold and riser were changed about 40 HRS. time ---They say if it aint broke----dont fix it , ---but anyone get long service out of that system?? THANKS "

"Considering that if the heat

"Considering that if the heat exchanger fails your engine could be toast, I'd replace it for the peace of mind. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" will very often put you on the end of a tow line.

"

" Croozer, If you look at the

" Croozer, If you look at the situation with that point of view, ---it sure makes a lot of sense to change it now. The price of a new exchanger is minimal compared to what the cost would be with salt water contamination to the engine block.Thanks for your input! "

You can always have the excha

You can always have the exchanger serviced by a radiator shop. They will not only clean it but solder any leaks. I had mine done for about $100. Good as new!

Back