Logo

Status after removing water in tank

peterb

"I removed all the junk in the

"I removed all the junk in the fuel tank over the weekend and then had a buddy clean out the carb (A lot of buildup in it!). We got the boat running and after idling perfectly headed out. After all of the work done, New plugs, wires, roter, cap, condensor & points, the boat still bogggs down, backfires and stalls when I throttle up. Timing belt is fine. My wire sequence is also correct. All 4 plugs have spark too.
WTF else could it be? My buddy (mechanic) seems to think it may be a carb issue like the air/gas ratio. As I said, it idles great but once I head out it is another story. Could it still be a timing issue that we are missing?

PETE"

"Please do the following test

"Please do the following test with a timing light:
Lign up the engine with timing mark at TDC (0) and check that even the cam-shaft mark is at the alignment. Run with cover off and mark the wheel (NOT belt)with white chalk if needed. If You have an adjustable timing light You may even rev it up and check the timing by keeping the marks at 0, and adjust the pre-setting in the lamp. Check then that both marks stays at 0 at same pre-setting."

Back