Logo

Heres a challenge

bigspender1911

"My boat was running very badl

"My boat was running very badly, so I decided to tune it up. When I did this, I started having mis firing problems. Which lead me to recheck my work, make sure proper timing belt position, points, dwell, new plugs, new wires , cap, rotar and coil and condenser. It still ran like garbage. Compression is good, firing order seems to be correct, and now after countless hours I discovered I have two cylinders to choose which fires by how I adjust my timing. I have checked everything thoughouly. The cylinders that won't fire are certainly getting gas, and spark but apparently not at the same time."

"When was the last time you re

"When was the last time you renewed the ignition wires and gapped/cleaned/renewed the spark plugs? Also, have you installed the wires in the right firing order in the distributor? They should go 1-3-4-2 clockwise.

Finally, you may want to consider replacing points and condenser with either a Pertronix or a HotSpark electronic ignition kit and start enjoying life.
biggrin.gif
"

did all that and double checke

did all that and double checked all adjustments however i wont rule anything out but how in the world these ignition replacements would help. all the parts are working perfectly

I would not be surpriced if th

I would not be surpriced if the 'new' condensator is acting up. A switch to electronic will solve that problem.

<u>all the parts are working perfectly.</u>
Obviously not!

"just came back what you have

"just came back what you have mentioned Morton is interesting and i will probably try it out. however. I need to start over to diagnose it further. and I cant seem to find any correct info on where the roter should be pointing with no1 @ tdc evan a volvo dealer cant seem to help me. I read some old posts and they conflict with each other. Someone has got to know,"

firing order 1234? thats what

firing order 1234? thats what it shows in the diagram. and the wires are connected to the cap counter clockwise. mine are conneted clockwise the roter spins clockwise. is this correct becauuse it conflicts with what I have read on the old posts

"Alan, read again, carefully.

"Alan, read again, carefully. On the B20s (pushrods, like the AQ115, AQ130, etc) the distributor rotates counterclockwise. On the OHC, like yours, it rotates clockwise. And in both cases, the firing order is 1-3-4-2."

"If in doubt, follow the terra

"If in doubt, follow the terrain!
Take off the cap and crank -that gives You the rotation direction.
How You insert the dist does not matter that much, as long as the rotor is pointing at lead 1`# when engine is in TDC ignition! Take off valve-cover and turn the engine until in-ex valves on cyl one is changing - then one more turn and align the timing mark at cranckshaft pulley with mark at cover.Put the pulley mark at roughly 6 BTDC, 'adjust' the dist so points just starts to open (test lamp or ohm meter).
If You are in doubt of fireing order - watch the valves when turning the engine and You will see in what sequence they 'change' as You turn.
Normally it should be: 1 'rocks' - 3 'rocks'-4 'rocks'- 2 'rocks' BUT: There are cam-shafts that gives 1234, if someone have been playing with that!"

"I have seen different diagram

"I have seen different diagramms about rotation and fireing orders that might be rather confusing. That is why I gave the short 'lesson' above. Follow Your engine (the terrain), forget the map! Some decades in the business have I have learned to work with what I have, not what others believe I have!"

"Morten, I am a bit confused w

"Morten, I am a bit confused with your statement <font color=""0000ff"">"There are cam-shafts that gives 1234, if someone have been playing with that".</font>

All the in-line 4-stroke, 4-cylinder engines I have seen in my life have cranks 2 and 3 pointing the same way, and cranks 1 and 4 pointing 180º degrees opposite to 1 and 3. That is: 0º-180º-180º-0º, like in this picture:

87044.jpg

A firing order of 1-3-4-2 (which seems universally accepted) or even 1-2-4-3 (which, although has no disadvantages when compared with the former, is seldom used) makes sense because two cylinders are always firing with 180º difference. That would ensure (together with a good flywheel, crank counterballance weights, etc) a smooth running engine. But I cannot see how that could possibly happen when the firing order is 1-2-3-4, unless a 0º-180º-0º-180º crankshaft was used, and I don't recall seeing one of those around. Are there any engines around (specifically marine engines in VP outdrive applications) that use the 0-180-0-180 and 1-2-3-4 configuration, or are you talking about some ancient rarities that can only be found in a museum?"

"151 C I had problem similar,

"151 C I had problem similar, your toothed belt may be misadjusted. I found that I need to tighten or replace this each season"

"El:
For the OHC engines ther

"El:
For the OHC engines there are more than 25 camshafts!Luckily most are not on the open marked. There are shafts that swithces 2 and 3, making the engine fire 1-2-4-3. (Not 1234 mistyping). Same goes in fact for a lot of engine manufacturer, I know even BMW has it. The standard marine engines however follows the normal pattern, but remember theese are 'old' ones and might have been played alot with using different car parts and set-ups. There was a discussion some times ago concerning a similar matter with a B20 (AQ130) engine in Australia.
In general my rec for people getting 'lost' is to monitor the cam and dist rotation as mentioned above."

"Morten good point I guess i h

"Morten good point I guess i have been hoping for an easy rout. at 25 years old this engine could have anything slapped together and im not a stranger to old hacked up stuff. nor am i all t hat ignorant to engins and their surprises. I would swear the engin is running with different fireing order. So Ive been searching for a general rule of thumb of roter position fireing order and wire position. not all rotors contact in consecutive order. and I thought this might be one. I know this is a great running engine you should hear it on 2 cylanders. One more thing I cant type so I am having a hard time explaining all this. so bear with me, however this is the weirdest thing Ive ever encounterd."

"Easy!!!!!! Take the cap off.

"Easy!!!!!! Take the cap off. Then the plugs.
Manually turn the engine over to see which cylinder comes up to compression!!!!
Follow that order in the sequence...........On the compression stroke, both valves will be closed for the cylinder which will fire next."

Back