Logo

1982 evinrude projectSPARKY

B

bobby locke

" Long story short, after tear

" Long story short, after tearing down the engine at least 3 times trying to find a terrible nock i threw in the towel. I knew the motor had already been bored 30 over, and the compression seemed somewhat good 115 over 120.i thought it was rod bearings that were giving the trouble and on my first tear down i did find bad rod bearings and a burnt rod about half way up. the crank showed discoloration also. So i put another crank and rods and piston rings in the engine.Still a knock present. I Then checked the foot and found a Slightly chipped foward gear tooth. I thought that was it then. 330 bucks later,"a foward and pinion gear set", the knock was still there. After all that i come to the conclusion that the cyclinder walls were worn out. even with new rings there were some pretty good play inthe pistons side to side. I gave up on the knock and now starting a new project. a 1991 40 horse that has a scalded upper wall cyclinder and piston."i assume because the oiler wasn't working". Anyways im hoping most of the 1982 parts interchange with the 91 . even though i tore down the engine three times , it still was fun. and i learned a lot. "

Back