Logo

Trim Tabs stopped working

aquakenbush

Contributing Member
"I was out two weeks ago and e

"I was out two weeks ago and everything was running good, I go out for a 10 day boat trip and the trim tabs never worked from day 1 of my trip and still dont work at all.

The only thing I did in between was screw around with some wiring for a solenoid controlling flow to my propane system and track some of the wiring around the boat. I also noticed my two year old had maybe been playing with some buttons although nothing was really on. The tabs usually make a whirring noise when you shut off the motors as they go back to the 0 position and they dont make any noise at all now. I have checked what wiring I could see and all the fuses seem intact albeit one seems a bit rusty, also none of them are marked so hard to tell what each one is for.

Any suggestions of areas to look for problems?"

"If your trim tabs are Bennett

"If your trim tabs are Bennett, download the installation manual from the Bennett's website and follow the troubleshooting procedure.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/ownman.pdf

If that does not work and you know how to read an electrical drawing and know how to use a multimeter, you should not have any problems tracing the wiring. And if none of the above works, you will have to ask an electrician to have a look at it."

"Andrew,
Don't forget t

"Andrew,
Don't forget to check the grounds for the circuit. Seems that many boaters overlook the grounding for a particular circuit and kick themselves after several hours or days of t'shooting.
BZ"

Back