Logo

Whats going wrong next

doug_henderson

Contributing Member
"Hi all, my little aq130c is b

"Hi all, my little aq130c is becoming a hole in the water that cash just flows in to.

Firstly I had water in the oil. Turned out to be the seals on the impeller shaft were worn and water was spitting into the camshaft housing.

Next I replaced the points with the hotspark kit. It was running beautiful in a water tank at home but was over heating.

I think we got the over heating problem solved but now the motor will not stay running.

It starts up great, idles fine and has good throttle responce, but after a few mins will start to run rough and eventually runs so poorly that there is no throttle responce and it basically dies.

Let it sit a few mins and the whole process repeats....good ilde and throttle responce followed by worsening condition.

Ran a fuel line into a gas can to bypass the tank and still the same. Think Im gonna try an electric fuel pump tommorow.

Any ideas?"

"HEY DOUG, HERES A LITTLE MESS

"HEY DOUG, HERES A LITTLE MESSAGE FOR YOU!!

B, BUST
O, OUT
A, ANOTHER
T, THOUSAND

AS I HAVE TOO, LEARNED THIS AND STILL LEARNING IT THE HARD WAY!! KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!"

"Oh My, I took my 75 year old

"Oh My, I took my 75 year old Dad to the boat as he is a retired mechanic of 45 years.

He listened to the engine do its thing then asked what had been done to the engine. As soon as I told him about the Hotspark electronic ignition he told me to put the points and condenser back in.

Guess what? Problem seems to be resolved. Funny though, when I first put the Hotspark in the engine ran nicely although the overheating problem.

Idles nice and good throttle responce ect. This problem arose after we resolved the overheating problem. Maybe the module just crapped out on me. Maybe it was overheating?

And yes Darow...Im well aware of the meaning of BOAT :0)"

"HEY DOUG,
I TALKED TO ALOT O

"HEY DOUG,
I TALKED TO ALOT OF GUYS HERE IN ALASKA THAT HAVE OWEND BOATS FOR ALONG TIME. I ASKED THEM ABOUT THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION CONVERSIONS,THEY ALL TOLD ME BETTER TO STICK TO THE POINTS!!
I KNOW I WILL CATCH ALOT OF SLACK FROM THIS BUT THEY MADE THE POINT THAT NOTHING IS FAIL SAFE.
I CHANGE THE POINTS EVERY YEAR AND SET THE DWELL, AND IN THESE LITTLE FOUR CYLINDER VOLVOS, ONCE YOU GET THEM TUNED IN THEY RUN LIKE A TOP!!!
I CANNOT COMPLAIN.
I WILL BE WORKING ON MY BOAT TOMORROW, AND YES I WILL BE PRYING MY WALLET OPEN!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!"

"Darow, the Alaskan guys you a

"Darow, the Alaskan guys you are talking about are entitled to their opinion, but I wonder how many of them have had direct experience (either a good or a bad one) with electronic ignition kits and how many just speak that way because they feel that what worked for their grandfathers should also work for their grandsons
biggrin.gif
. I just hope that none of them drive gasoline cars, vans or pick-up trucks, because they are going to have a big disappointment: all the models from the late 80s onwards come with electronic ignition, and the vast majority of the earlier ones have been modified by now.

Oh well, we need some dissidents around to make this forum more interesting.
wink.gif
"

I really would like to use the

I really would like to use the ignition mod but now im a little afraid to put if I re-install the same problem will arise. I am going to send the unit back to hotspark and hopefully get a replacement.

"If their customer service is

"If their customer service is as good as Pertronix's, then you should get a replacement free of charge."

"Anyone wanna buy a puppy?

"Anyone wanna buy a puppy?

I'm looking into a new cash making endeavor upon realizing there's a new market to sell keyboards without a 'Caps Lock' button...
uhoh.gif
"

"Just wondering though El, whe

"Just wondering though El, when the engine started to act up with the module installed, it would start and run great for about 5 mins or less (longer from a cold start) and then start to act up.

Let it sit for a few mins and it repeated the process.

We pulled the plugs out and my Dad looked at them and becaused of the type of fouling said the engine was going into a rich fuel state when it was acting up, like it was flooding.

He said that poor spark could possibly cause this condition. For some reason it appears that the module would stop providing adiquate spark.

Just wondering if its the modules fault or if the problem lies elsewhere. Its running good back on points and condenser.

But Dammit!!!....I want my Elec Ignition!!!"

"Doug, is the coil getting hot

"Doug, is the coil getting hot by any chance? And is it a 3 ohm (or higher) coil? You need a 3 ohm coil and also to get rid of any ballast resistor you may have so that there are 12V reaching the + of the coil at all times."

It seems that these Hotspark m

It seems that these Hotspark modules will misfire and or fail if and when the get too hot.

A flakey charging system that overvolts at higher rpms or a coil thats producing too many volts will cause the module to overheat and act up.

Time to pull the voltmeter out and do some voltage and resistance testing

Back