Logo

Engine Lacks power Will not REV past 3500 RPMbS

tsumma

"Hey guys I have a 95 Crownlin

"Hey guys I have a 95 Crownline 182 BR. I just replaced the motor with a new 4.3 mercuirser crate motor, but I have a problem the boat struggles to get on a plane with 5 people on it, and seems to have little power will run maybe 35 MPH and the RPM hit 3,500 or so, seems to run ok just lacks power and no revs any ideas?"

"A 4.3L w/5 well nourished peo

"A 4.3L w/5 well nourished people getting 35 MPH @ 3500 RPM sounds pretty good to me. A four blade prop is great for getting on plane quickly

use this prop finder:

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_msexcel.gif""" align=left alt=""application/vnd.ms-excel"">prop finder
[url=""][b]Copy of Boat_Speed_Finder-79780.xls[/b][/url] (22.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

You need the following info:

loaded boat weight
WOT RPMs
altitude or feet above sea level
OD gear ratio
engine HP"

"I have a simular boat, 1996 1

"I have a simular boat, 1996 185 bayliner BR 4.3 2bbl, 1.81 gear, gull wing stabilizer. With 4 people aboard, full tank of gas, 25 pitch stainless prop. I have no problem getting on plane. Top speed at wot 4600 is about 55 mph, I use a 23 pitch stainless for skiing/tubing. Me thinks something must be wrong if you can't get more than 3500 rpm. I'd check with the motor supplier."

How does that compare to the o

How does that compare to the original motor? Are you running a different prop or drive leg?
It does not sound right to me.
My old 180 hp 4.3LX 4 bbl would push my 20' Blue water to 47 mph with a 21" High Five and 1.81 drive ratio. That was just myself on board with 1/2 gas. About 2900-3000 lbs all up weight.
You need to get your dealer to do some investigation.
Rod

Back