Logo

Ignition sensor failure

J

Jack Stone

I have a 2001 mercruiser hori

I have a 2001 mercruiser horizon 350 efi straight inboard.
The sensor in the distributor failed once resulting in a tow-in.
Is there a temporary way to jump this or hot wire it for future information. I carry a spare but putting the nut on the thru bolt can be a little hairy in a bouncing boat.

" Jack, common problem (in

" Jack, common problem (in cars also) there is no way to bypass/hotwire the module. A complete spare distributor is the quickest and easiest way to get underway again. It will cost a bit but its good insurance. Aldo "

" the quickest way is to repla

" the quickest way is to replace the plate with a conventional plate with points and condenser allready mounted,that way you don't have to worry about timing. "

" Granted, my area of expertis

" Granted, my area of expertise is not the inboard but have to differ with Mrprops unless he would elaberate to enlighten me.

Simply switching the plate in your distributer with one having conventional points and condensor would not work for a variety of reasons. To begin with standard points are moved by a cam lobe on the ditributer shaft, and your electronic ignition distributer has a star shaped part passing by the sensor.

By the time you modify your distributor, if possible, to carry a lobed shaft, and conventional points it would likely be just as economical and certainly less work to have just purchased a spare.

Additionally, the power ratings between a coil for electronic ignition and one for conventional point ignition is different. There may be the possibility of over or under supplying of spark.

Without a complete conversion from electronic to point ignition I tend to agree with Aldo, I would further add that staying with electronic would have performance advantages because it provides a slight advantage over conventional points.

If I am off base, feel free to straighten me out. I am certainly not trying to offend anyone. Just would not want Jack to jump in and get started only to find out that he has a chain of problems to solve before he is done. "

when i suggested swapping pla

when i suggested swapping plates i was refering to an standard ignition system that was converted to electronic.

Thanks for all the help. Soun

Thanks for all the help. Sounds like a spare distributor is the way to go.

" Guys,

I seem to be having

" Guys,

I seem to be having the same problem in my 1999 5.7 Vortec engine. I keep burning out the ignition module inside the distributor but can not locate any short. I checked voltage on the coil while running and it reads the same as my alternator output - anywhere from 14.7 to 15.2, depending on rpm. Any thoughts on what is causing the module to go? "

Do the directions for replaci

Do the directions for replacing the IM call for thermal compound between the IM and mating surface mount on the distributor. This is usually the case since the IM's warm up pretty good.

" hi my name is big al i have

" hi my name is big al i have a 1989 buick lasaber that want fire i have fire to the module but not the coil pac it has new coil, module can you help me please "

I have a 2001 mercruiser hori

I have a 2001 mercruiser horizon 350 efi straight inboard.
The sensor in the distributor failed once resulting in a tow-in.
Is there a temporary way to jump this or hot wire it for future information. I carry a spare but putting the nut on the thru bolt can be a little hairy in a bouncing boat.
I've had the same problem on my 350 Magnum twice. I have a vent in the back of my boat directly behind and slightly above the motor. When I slow down fast water rushes over the swim platform and in through the vent onto the motor and in the bilge. If not tended to the water will splash around in the bilge, up onto the plugs/ plug wires and short out the sensor inside the distributor. I carry a spare sensor but I have also altered the rear vent as to not allowing water to splash in so easily. The common cause for the sensors to fail is shorts (and it doesn't take much).

Back