Logo

Mariner 40 ML

Well I guess I will jump in wi

Well I guess I will jump in with a hey what year is it! I have 40 Mariner 40BE 76B s103949. Any information is appreciated!

Simon

"Simon, that's a 1979 Yama

"Simon, that's a 1979 Yamaha built Mariner. You are missing one number from your model/serial.

The 40BE part breaks down to 40 horse "B" model, Electric start.

Then should read 676B (which is a series code for B models from Yami) then the rest is "s" for short shaft and the 103.... is the actual serial number...

So you have a model 40BE serial 676B-S-103949
"

"Graham, I have a Mariner 40 H

"Graham, I have a Mariner 40 HP 1985 I believe. 40EL 6E9-L-417930 When I crank the motor I have a ton of grey Goo coming out of the exhaust in the prop. I am pretty sure that it is unburnt fuel. My top cylinder spark is only firing intermittently. I can take my wires and reverse them and the top will fire prefectly. My question is (there is only one ignition coil) does this fire both plugs at the same time? If so, can one side of this coil go bad? It acts like every time I crank it it fouls that plug. But I do not know if this is the case or not. Should I replace the ignition coil? Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Thank you,
Wilson"

"Wilson, your correct, that&#3

"Wilson, your correct, that's a 1985 Yamaha built Mariner.

This model has a CDI ignition (pure yamaha).

The systems kinda works like this - there is an ignition coil (stator) under the flywheel which sends power to a CDI box. The CDI box stores/rectifies the power in a pair of capacitors (independant of each other).

A pulser coil under the flywheel works as a trigger sending a signal to tell the cdi box when to release it's stored/rectified power. The CDI box gets either a positive or negative pulse from the pulser, which corresponds to sending power to either the top or bottom cylinder.

And while the Coil that ultimately feeds the plugs is common, it is in fact two ignition coils simply in the same unit - one for each plug lead.

So your intermittent spark on one cylinder could be as a result of a problem in a few different places.

The main first coil under the flywheel is most likely ok - it simply produces power and neither would work if it was bad.

The pulser could be the issue, or the CDI box or the final ignition coil (or even one of the wires or a bad ground for that matter).

The only way to isolate the problem is grab a Mariner manual and a test meter and start checking.

The pulser coil is no longer available from Merc, but may be available at a Yami dealer if that turns out to be the issue.

It has been my experience that in most cases where there is an "intermittent" spark issue on a CDI ignition (and I'm not an expert by any means), that the trigger has been the problem (pulser in this case).

With no spark "at all", that usually points to a coil or cdi box....."

"Thanks for the information Gr

"Thanks for the information Graham I am going to get my meter and manual and start this afternoon. I checked all of my grounds and connections and they seem to be OK.
Thanks again,
Wilson"

"I was trying to find a carbur

"I was trying to find a carburetor diagram for our boat, but without the year of the motor it was difficult - when I came across this site. Hopefully you can help us too. We have a Mariner 40EL 6E9 L 415919. There are numbers everywhere on it including Y26701. After reading other entries, is it safe to assume it is also a Yamaha? It runs great full throttle and sputters in low gear, thought it might be a carb problem but need a diagram to pursue it. Thank you for your help!"

"Graham, Could you please tell

"Graham, Could you please tell me something about my Mariner 40E S100431?

I have an engine like that and suddenly I can't get any ignition whatsoever. There is no voltage to the ignition coil.

I think, though not totally convinced, that I have limited the possible problem down to two different components preceding the ignition coil (I have no idea of the english words for them). One is labeled Stanley DE4204 1A09H4 and the other one just 1K23 (I will now try to locate these parts here in Sweden, or abroad if necessary). From this certainly very, very vague description do you know the english words for these parts?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Niclas Junsved"

"i would like to know the year

"i would like to know the year of my mariner 3 cylinder ,50 hp outboard,and is it made by yamaha? the serial #is 0b399667,thanks,richard"

"Niclas, if you post your mode

"Niclas, if you post your model number I can put up a diagram and you can point out the parts...

Richard, your motor is a 1989 model - Mecury built - which means that the powerhead and gears are Yamaha, the ignition, case and other components are Merc.

Just about every Merc built before 2005 (save the 4 strokes/DFI's) used a Yamaha powerhead, and most times, lower gears as well. This was done through a partnership Merc had with Yami.

Yamaha did built an entirely "yamaha" motor for Merc, but was marketed exclusively under the Mariner line - however, not "all" Mariners are Yamaha either.

Hey, if you want a Tohatsu, just buy a new 4 stroke Merc 30 horses and under
"

"the oil in the lower unit has

"the oil in the lower unit has a little bit ofa gray clor ,mostly clear although,my ? is how do i tighten the screws ,i do not have a large enough screwdriver.please reply"

"hello,i have owned the 50 hp

"hello,i have owned the 50 hp mariner 3 cylinder 1 month,it runs just fine,the compression is 125 on all 3 cylinders,what is the optimun throtle postion ,,2/3 postion?.lastly how long can i run wide open.the motor is 1988,note i have no gauges set up,look forward to your reply,this is a very helpful website,thanks richard"

"Richard, a 2 stroke outboard

"Richard, a 2 stroke outboard can run wide open almost forever, infact, prolonged idle or low rpm operation can kill them (or at least gum/plug them up bad).

They are designed to be run at wide-open-throttle (or at least in the range which will vary between 500-1000 rpms from max depending on the model).

At WOT they fire properly and burn up everything in the cylinder producing the least amount of build-up (carbon etc).

However, since 2 strokes are grossly ineffient, often sending a significant percentage of their fuel right out the exhaust port before it even fires, running them wide open really sucks up the gas.

Using the 10% rule of thumb, your 50 horse would burn about 5 gallons per hour at full throttle (or 20 bucks an hour at current gas prices).

Backing the throttle off to between 2/3's and 3/4's will cut that to less than half.

The "sweet spot" for any given motor is at the point where the timing is at max advance, but before the carb butterflies are fully open.

By operating the throttle with the hood off (and the motor off) you will see what I mean. As you increase the throttle, you will be able to observe the timing linkage advancing as well. It will stop at a point when you still have throttle left. If you had a tach you could determine the exact rpm (pretty much). On most 2 stroke outboards that rpm will be somewhere around the 4000 mark (give or take a couple of hundred).

Without a tach -- with a bit of practice and observation (and the help from a buddy to spot for you running with the hood off) you will be able to pretty much tune your ear to the sound of the motor when it reaches max timing. Once you have the "sound" pegged, you can usually find it....

Hope I made sense here
"

"I have a 3 Mariner 40hp and w

"I have a 3 Mariner 40hp and was wondering if anyone could help me find the years. The models are 40ML and the serials are 6E9L 308822, 309659 and 310800. I am pretty sure they are all the same year.
Thanks"

"thanks gram,i woulkd like to

"thanks gram,i woulkd like to wish you a happy memorial day,something tells me you are a vet,my dad was a tail gunner world war 2,antway,on my mariner,the man that sold it to me .89 50hp mariner said it had a alarm that would sound if it was overheating?now since i have no gauges hooked up ,,oh it runs perfect,how would i teast the alarm to see if it is functioning?,alternitively how do i hook up a temp gauge to it?"

"Thanks Richard, and you are c

"Thanks Richard, and you are correct - 22 years in the Airforce.

Anyhow, the alarm on these things is pretty simple. There is a sensor, pretty much the same as in any car that is simply screwed into the block (usually up near the top of the heads but can be anywhere). It works on simple resistance.

As the motor heats up, the resistance goes down towards zero. If it gets too hot, the sensor reaches zero resistance, completes the circuit and sends power to the buzzer/horn to let you know it's overheating.

Temperature gauges simply display the resistance that they read - converted to a temp of course.

You could enquire at a Merc dealer to see if they have a temp gauge that could be spliced right into the existing sensor/alarm harness (I know for sure that the teleflex gauges work on a different resistance range and would give you a bogus reading without using their/compatable sensor - which would be your other alternative)..."

"Hi Graham could you help with

"Hi Graham could you help with a year for this one, It's a 40hp made in japan
40oeo
6f9
s
any info would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Mick:"

"Mick, sounds like your plate

"Mick, sounds like your plate is a little worn or dirty.

Think you will find that it's 6E9 150804.

That would make it a 1990 Mariner, built by Yamaha for Mercury.

Your model actually had an oil pump to facilitate the oil injection, replacing the earlier "auto-blend" system which was just a nightmare.

This was a very well engineered/built motor, but it is part of a discontinued line. Additonally, this particular model specs were only produced for a couple of years so parts may be a little hard to come by in some instances...

1990 saw no less than 3 distinctly different 40 horse Mariner models on the market - yours is pure Yamaha."

looking to find out whats the

looking to find out whats the best all around prop for my Mariner 40e 676bl and wondering what year it might be

"Scott, to peg down the exact

"Scott, to peg down the exact year will need the numbers that follow the 676.

You have a Mariner built by Yamaha for Mercury. The 676 model line was produced between 1977 and 1981.

To determine the best prop, also need to know what you have the motor hanging on, what the normal load on board is etc. There is no "one size fit's all" prop for any motor.

On a little 14 foot aluminum you will use a higher pitch than a 16 foot glass boat etc..."

"looking to find out what prop

"looking to find out what prop I should buy for my mariner 40e 676bl 412464 and what year it would be. it's hanging on a Klamath 16' Alaskan aluminum boat with loaded weight of about 1,200 to 1,300 lbs"

I also am looking to find out

I also am looking to find out what year the kicker motor is. Also a Mariner 2 stroke 4hp with the #'s 0D933208 Any idea would be a big help

"Scott, your kicker appears to

"Scott, your kicker appears to be a 1994 model.

As to your prop on your 40 - threw your numbers into a prop calculator and based on what you provided looks like a 13 or 14 pitch would be well suited to your application (10 to 10 3/8" diamater on either)"

any idea what year the 40 e bl

any idea what year the 40 e bl 412464 might be and I also found the #'s 4873140A4 15P on the prop not sure what that means maybe you could tell me. much help appreciated

"Scott, the 40 is a 1981 Yamah

"Scott, the 40 is a 1981 Yamaha built Mariner. The number from the prop are OEM "Merc" prop numbers.

What you have there is a 10-1/8 inch diameter, 15 pitch prop.

That may be a little too "big" for the rig you described above.

If you have a tach connected you should be looking to be able to get to about 5200-5300 rpms at wide open throttle. Significantly below that would indicate the need for a lower pitch.

Every decrease in pitch by 1" results in an increase of about 200 rpm (and vice versa) - your motor, if running below the 5000 rpm mark, starts to wander into the range where "damage" can be done to the engine...."

i have a 1984 40 hp out board

i have a 1984 40 hp out board and it cuts out at full power and it will start up again right after any ideas.

Back