Logo

Mariner 40 ML

biggbiker

"Hi all,
Just picked up a Mar

"Hi all,
Just picked up a Mariner 40 HP 2 stroke O/B and wondered if anyone could pass on any relevent info?

Mariner 40ML - 6E9 - L - 352047

What year is it? and can anyone recomend a good manual?
Cheers,
Gary"

"Gary, it's a 1989, comple

"Gary, it's a 1989, completely built by Yamaha, marketed as a Mariner by Mercury (confusing?)

Anyhow, well built engine - you can mix at 50:1 with regular unleaded (86 octane or better but not 93) and TCW3 rated 2 cycle Marine oil..."

"Graham,
Thank you very much.

"Graham,
Thank you very much............89 ties in to what I was told and yes it also says made in Japan on the plate too. (Hence Yamaha, I guess?)

Many Thanks once again,
Gary"

"I have a 40 hp Mariner motor

"I have a 40 hp Mariner motor on my boat and from the serial no., hope someone can tell me what year? Could it be a Yamaha manufacture?

The no. is 6E9 L 431762

I am needing some ignition parts and these serial numbers are just not helping me. I'd appreciate any help I can get."

"Joanne, that is a 1988 model,

"Joanne, that is a 1988 model, built by Yamaha, for Mercury and sold as a Mariner.

You should try Mercury first for parts and if they can't help you, perhaps Yamaha can.

Although this engine is all Yamaha, it was built to Merc specs and may not necessarily have parts that directly swap with Yami's in the same time period that this was built."

sorry if i am hijacking this t

sorry if i am hijacking this thread.. but i also i have a mariner 40hp mariner i'm trying to find the year for. i can't seam to get any exact answers on it. the serial number on it is 40E 6E9 L 405314.

"Jump on Bryan - tough one but

"Jump on Bryan - tough one but believe you have a 1982 model there. In 1983 they designated the line as "C" models and the serials started to jump around and trip over each other a bit.

In most (technical) literature, I believe you will find that your model is referred to as a 40EL serial 6E9 405314 - including any on-line Merc parts source listings (vice the way it is actually printed on your tag)...."

"I just was given a 40 hp Mari

"I just was given a 40 hp Mariner, and need to find the year it was made.the ser. no.is 676b 405981. It is electric start and also has a rope starter. Made in Japan. At the top of the tag it says 40BE
Thanks"

"That is a 1979 model. Built

"That is a 1979 model. Built entirely by Yamaha for Mercury and dressed as a Mariner
"

"I have a 1984 40 hp Mariner 4

"I have a 1984 40 hp Mariner 40M serial no 6E9 S 005290, I am trying to find what the gearbox/final drive ratio is.
Thanks"

"Mick, that is a Yamaha built

"Mick, that is a Yamaha built model, so could be one of two gear ratio's. I can't find anything that says definately which.

But it will either be 2.00:1 (Yamaha gears produced for Merc) or 1.85:1 (Yami gears for Yami).

A Seloc's manual for the Japanese built Mariners would probably have the exact answer you are looking for."

"Graham
Thanks for the help,

"Graham
Thanks for the help, One other question I have is there a standard measurement the transome should be in regards for a standard shaft motor.(what depth the prop should be in the water)?
Thanks"

"Mick, generally when measurin

"Mick, generally when measuring or "fitting" a motor, it is not so much where the prop ends up, but the cavitation plate that you want to try and match (within an inch) of the bottom of the transom (see diagram).

There is 3 standard transom heights 15", 20" and 25" which use short, long and extra-long (sometimes called sail) shaft.

As long as they are within an inch, usually not an issue, if not, sometimes minor mounting modifications are needed to get the best performance....

116115.jpg
"

hi i have a mariner 40m 6E9 s

hi i have a mariner 40m 6E9 s 007 446 do you know what year it is and can i convert it to a long shaft i have a long shaft gearbox is there an adapter for the center leg

"That looks to be a 1985 "

"That looks to be a 1985 "C" model, 100% Yamaha built Mariner.

Just about any motor can be converted to a long shaft, however, often times the cost is prohibitive unless you can find used parts.

Not sure what you mean by having a long shaft gearbox. To convert short to long you either need an exhaust housing extension, drive shaft extension and new water tube or a "long" housing, driveshaft and watertube.

You could ask a Merc dealer if an extension kit exists (or existed - this model is now long discontinued) or simply try a web search for aftermarket parts...."

hi
i was wondering if anybod

hi
i was wondering if anybody could tell me how much a 40hp mariner from 1989 weighs?

cheers

"Dry weight is listed as 143 p

"Dry weight is listed as 143 pounds for manual start - plus a bit if it's electric start, power trim etc...."

"Hi
I have a mariner 30ml 689

"Hi
I have a mariner 30ml 689L 530735 it is a manual start.In december I had back surgery and would like to convert this to electric start the dealer were I bought the motor from said I cant do it but Ive seen the same motors on Ebay with electric start this is a great starting and running motor I would like to keep it but just cant pull start anymore,any help would be great Thank for your time"

"Bill, your dealer is mostly c

"Bill, your dealer is mostly correct - the parts are no longer available from a Merc dealer - all have been discontinued.

If they hadn't been you would be looking at about 1500 bucks to do the conversion or over half the cost of a new electric start model.

If you are patient, you can collect all the part numbers you need (which will include a new flywheel, starter motor (aftermarket if available), a wiring harness, solenoid etc) and look for them on places like Ebay or engine recyclers.

However, in the end you may find that it is considerably cheaper just to purchace another electric start motor - either new or used and sell what you have to help offset the cost..."

"Hi There,
Can anyone help? i

"Hi There,
Can anyone help? i have a mariner 40M serial no 09905120, year 1996, short shaft and made in Belgium. I am trying to find a gearbox used if poss or a price for a new one.

please!!

Thanks Mikey"

hi
i have a 40hp mariner im

hi
i have a 40hp mariner im trying to find the year on and haveing a hard time numbers are 676bl 406840 40 be

"Hey Joe, that is a 1980, elec

"Hey Joe, that is a 1980, electric start, long shaft built by Yamaha for Mercury and sold as a Mariner.

They were quite popular during their time, but have been discontinued for a number of years now. They are 100% Yamaha built in Japan, mostly for the European market, but many made their way to North America."

hello and thank you Graham for

hello and thank you Graham for your response ... ive been to 2 places this morning looking for an impeller for this motor both told me $53 for just the impeller not the kit.. why so expensive? do you know where i could find a better price? parts number 47-9971m
thanks again

"Andrew, who runs this site ha

"Andrew, who runs this site has them for 36 bucks and change.

Discontinued motor + no big aftermarket = rip you off on the parts because they are getting scarce."

Gday

Just wondering what ye

Gday

Just wondering what year my motor would be.

Its a Yamaha 6E9 40QE L 555357

Much appreciated

Mick

Thank you.

I picked it up o

Thank you.

I picked it up on the weekend under the pretence it was a much later model. Damn its in good condition.

Cheers

Mick

"They were a superperbly engin

"They were a superperbly engineered, excellent built motor. For years Yamaha built the powerheads and gears for most of the Merc models. Under their partnership they originally built the entire Mariner line - primarily for the European/Austrailian/Asian market, but alot came to North America.

Eventually, Merc built the Mariner line themself and somewhat "orphaned" the older Mariners. However, in alot of cases, if Merc does not still stock the parts, they can be found at a Yamaha dealer."

Back