Logo

Correct coolant pressure and cap

F

flopes

"'93 Crusader 270 XL FWC.

"'93 Crusader 270 XL FWC.
The fluid in the recovery tank shows full. The coolant level was low in the engine so I topped it off. Went on a 1hr ride at normal cruise speed. Next day, the recovery tank was still at the full mark, but the engine filler neck, under the pressure cap (7psi), was low again.
I suspect the cap is faulty, but want to pressure test the whole system for leaks.
The question is what is the correct pressure to test for and is the cap the right one for this motor.

Thanks for your help,
Frank"

"a friend of mine had the same

"a friend of mine had the same problem with his crusaders and it was an easy fix,he told me his tank cap only lets the coolant out the overflow tube but does not allow it back when engine cools,he told me he got new caps that had two gaskets or seals in them one large and one small and it solved his problem"

"Thanks for the idea. As it t

"Thanks for the idea. As it turns out, the hose going to the bottom of the recovery tank was kinked right where it attaches to the fitting. Talk about a cheap fix. I replaced it with longer hose and it looks like all is well.

I pressured tested the cap and cooling system to 7psi and everything checked out fine.

Thanks again,
Frank"

Back