Logo

1959 55 Evinrude impeller replacement

winman99

Regular Contributor
"My brother just found this mo

"My brother just found this motor in the dump. It looked to be in good shape so I decided to give it a shot. After cleaning the carburetor and changing the plugs, it fires up first pull. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's not pumping any water at all. I removed the 4 bolts on the lower end at the water pump housing, but the lower end only comes down so far. If I try to tug on it, I see the shifter is moving. I also have a 1955 5 HP Viking (Made by OMC) that has the same issue. Has anybody out there changed an impeller on one of these, and do they remember changing the impeller without removing the powerhead?"

"First of all, sorry for posti

"First of all, sorry for posting under "Other". Second, I found the information I was looking for. I do have to remove the powerhead to undo the shift linkage. What a bad setup. I can understand why the motor ended up in the junkyard (as a matter of fact, the Viking was on its way there too when I got it). I'll probably spring for the parts to fix one ($30 + shipping). If that works out well, who knows."

Back