Logo

Starter problems

wwerdell68

I have an Eveinrude 88 spl eng

I have an Eveinrude 88 spl engine with Starter problems. The spindle going through the starter is spinning but the cog wheel that comes up to the fly wheel stops when it makes contact. The fly wheel is not frozen - I can start it with a pull rope. I am afraid I am going to have to replace the starter but I was hoping for confirmation before I do this.

"if the starter is turning but

"if the starter is turning but the gear is not, there is a clutch in the gear that is slipping. this is usually caused by someone oiling it. you can replace just the gear. you may even be able to clean the oil off and get it to work, if thats the cause."

Have your battery load tested

Have your battery load tested at your local auto parts store. When you put it back in be sure all the connections are sparkly clean and tight. You can check your bendix by manually turning it up to engage the flywheel. It should travel smoothly.

Thanks for the replies. I wil

Thanks for the replies. I will bring the battery in and have it tested. I have already cleaned all of the connections and replaced a couple of the wires so I don't think that is the problem. It could be the fact that we oiled it. We did pull the starter apart to check the brushes and then put grease on the top and bottom of the bendix after putting it back together. Is the clutch you are referring to on the top of the bendix? I looked at that and couldn't see how it comes apart.

"push down on the spring and w

"push down on the spring and washer. pry the keeper out of the groove in the shaft. some are 1 piece, some 2."

"Thank you Scott. That was ex

"Thank you Scott. That was exactly what it was. I took apart the clutch system, cleaned the grease off and the motor fired right up. I am glad I posted here before I bought a new starter or dropped the boat off with a mechanic!"

Back