Logo

Fuel tank cleaning

sandflea

" What is a good way to clean

" What is a good way to clean my fuel cell? It is a 30 gallon built in tank. It is in good shape, just fuel 1.5 years old and has not been moved. Hooked portable tank up and engine ran great. Just want to stop problems before they start? Have a prortable fuel pump to remove fuel.

help,
sandflea "

" Sandflea,

If the tank is

" Sandflea,

If the tank is very dirty with sticky deposits, you will have to remove it from the boat to clean it well.

The best method is to put some gravel into the tank which will provide an abrasive agent. Then pour a solvent of some type into the tank. You do not have to fill the tank. Next, rock the tank back and forth so that the gravel loosens up the deposits. This is easier if you have the tank sitting on some styrofoam or anything that makes it easy to move the tank around without damaging the walls. Change the position of the tank so that the gravel gets to every area of the tank. Usually this is a time consuming process, so it is best to plan on doing it over a period of days. Whenever you have a few minutes, you can shake things around and then leave it until you have time for it again. When you are done, remove the solvent and gravel. This part may take some time also, along with some inventiveness, but it can be done.

It may sound like a crazy way to clean a tank, but I have seen people use this method to clean up tanks that looked useless at first.

Tony "

" Sandflea,
Along those same

" Sandflea,
Along those same lines I cleand a 16 galon tank useing several handfulls of bolts and nuts,it worked great and where easy to remove.

Bob. "

Back