Logo

AQ170270 outdrive overheating problem

"I have a AQ170 with 270 outdr

"I have a AQ170 with 270 outdrive. Acquired boat about a year ago with a blown head gasket (water in the oil). Just got finished with assembly of engine with new head gasket, head machined, and newer exhaust manifold. Started it up today and it runs good, but engine will not suck water. If I put a water hose with muffs it will shoot water out of the exhaust but engine still gets hot. Inspected the impeller and it was not in terrible shape, but am going to replace it. When I hooked up the muffs water leaks out from the top of the outdrive, right underneath where the intake hose hooks on to. Is this a problem to make the engine overheat?"

yes it is.... Replace the wate

yes it is.... Replace the water neck that attaches to the outdrive. Hopefully you will solve the problem.

"Chris, which area are you ref

"Chris, which area are you referring to?

86420.jpg
"

"There are two seals (part

"There are two seals (part 13) protecting the needle bearing (part 12). Somehow, I don't think they are the problem (at least, I hope they are not the problem), but rather the hose connector or the hose connector gasket. But if the seals are gone,then you will have to take apart the whole outdrive to remove the water tube and install new seals.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/INTERMEDIATE_HOUSING_AQ_DRIVE_UNIT_270/dm/store_i d.366--session_id.126129968--cart_id.576176356--category_id.332331--list_time.11 86372493--view_id.317506"

OK El. Do you think that that

OK El. Do you think that that leak would make it not suck water. I know the impeller is cracked and all bent up. Should i just start with that or do u think that is something im probably going to have to do for it to get a good suction.

"One simple test you can do is

"One simple test you can do is to cover the water intake grids in the outdrive with duct tape and plug the water drain hole under the grids with a wooden plug or similar (if present, the hole is at the bottom of the outdrive, forward of the oil drain plug). Then, disconnect the raw water pump suction pipe and stick a garden hose on it and pressurize the suction line, and then you will see water pouring through the area where the air finds its way into the suction line."

Ok the water is coming from wh

Ok the water is coming from where i am pointing earlier in this post. What now?? Putting in the new impeller today and see what that does.

"Remove the hose connector and

"Remove the hose connector and examine its surface; if OK, then replace the gasket below the hose connector; and if bad, replace both hose connector and gasket. A new impeller will not cure that leak."

"Ok. but the water is coming f

"Ok. but the water is coming from the place below the hose connector. Not the hose connector or the gasket. Do you think that is those o-rings in the outdrive. If it is, how big of a job is it to break the outdrive down and get to those o-rings. Any special tools or can i get that done."

"If the water is coming from j

"If the water is coming from just below the hose connector, I think you should replace the hose connector <u>and</u> the oval gasket below it, then the problem will likely be resolved. If it is not resolved, then you will have to remove the lower gear unit and replace the o-rings between the intermediate and the lower units."

Look at my pic above. It is no

Look at my pic above. It is not coming from the hose connector or the gasket but underneath that. there is a piece of metal in between there.

"Ok . Put in new impeller.With

"Ok . Put in new impeller.With the muffs and it did great. Stayed cool and was circulating water with a bunch coming out of the exhaust, but when i filled a barrel and put the outdrive down in the water it would suck the water up. Its gotta be the o-rings on that tube in the outboard. What do u think??"

Yes im hearing you. I want to

Yes im hearing you. I want to make sure im doing the right thing before i start tearing the outdrive off the back of that thing. I did inspect the hose connector and put new gasket on and it still leaks.
So off with the outdrive i guess??

"I guess so too. If you only r

"I guess so too. If you only remove the lower gear assembly, the seal kit you need is Sierra part 18-3888, which costs about 5 bucks. You can get it from any marine store, or you can order it from the MarineEngine site.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-3888&returntopage= 80240800.htm

If you also remove the upper gear assembly, you will also need the seal kit Sierra 18-2597, which costs around 3 bucks.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2597&returntopage= 80240800.htm

And since your hose connector is corroded, consider replacing it (as well as the gasket, which comes with the hose connector ) and get peace of mind for a few years to come.
biggrin.gif
"

Ok. cool. Is there any directi

Ok. cool. Is there any directions i need to start this project withhout buying a manual. I would like to have it going this weekend and i dont have time to buy a manual. If you have a link to how to dismantle the outdrive and put it back together that would be greatly appreciated.

"Well, since you are going to

"Well, since you are going to need a manual anyway, you can download this online manual (if you haven't done so by now)
biggrin.gif
:

http://www.mybayliner.co.uk/boatmad/280285290.pdf

You may (or may not) get away by just removing the lower unit; but if everything else fails you should be OK by removing upper and lower gear, then leaving the intermediate housing attached to the transom shield."

"There are some differences in

"There are some differences in construction between the 270 and 280, but most parts are interchangeable. The gasket kits I mentioned fit either of them, and the online manual will have all or most of the information you need to do the job."

"Your problem is the seals on

"Your problem is the seals on the tube on the diagram El showed you, you need new seals on part #23, you are sucking air.That is why water comes out of the spot you are pointing to, that is above the water line. Run your boat half sunk, no problem, you suck water
lol.gif
."

i have a volvo 3ltr Gs petrol

i have a volvo 3ltr Gs petrol engine i am looking for a download of a work manual free if possible please

"Sorry for being late, you nee

"Sorry for being late, you need to split the two units to get tot the tube to replace seals."

Back