Logo

PRESTOLITE DIST

outrigger

"I HAVE A 88 270 CRUSADER ,THE

"I HAVE A 88 270 CRUSADER ,THE PORT ENG.STARTED SHUTTING DOWN AT SLO SPEEDS .CKED EVERYTHING .FOUND THAT WHEN ITS SHUTTING DOWN I AM LOOSING THE SPARK.SEEMS LIKE THE MODULE IN THE DIST. IS GOING BAD, THE ENG. STARTS RIGHT UP AND RUNS FOR A MIN. OR TWO AND SHUTS DOWN AGAIN,IT RUNS OK AT CRUSING SPEED ,ALSO TRIED GETTING A NEW MODULE,NO LUCK SEEMS LIKE EVERYONES OUT OF THEM OR DON'T STOCK THEM.ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGESTIONS... OUTRIGGER"

"ROB. ITS A 1988 270 CRUSADER

"ROB. ITS A 1988 270 CRUSADER WITH PRESTOLITE DIST. WITH A ELECTROINC MODULE ,ITS NOT A CONV. ITS STOCK.I JUST LOCATED ONE AT LIGHTHOUSE MARINE IN N.Y..THEY GO UNDER THE NAME PARTSMAN.COM. FRANK."

"Here is an excellent source f

"Here is an excellent source for all you parts needs for the prestolite distributor.
Lakeland Auto & Marine
2305 State Road
Port Clinton, Ohio 43452
419-734-1300
Ask for Bruce he is the owner and knows all these distibutors inside and out. And as far as I can tell his prices are down to earth. Caps rotors and advance springs cost me $68.Just a nice ol guy that likes to help boaters and old car owners out.
I just rebuilt both of my distributors as they previously had little or no maintenace done to them since new in 1988. They had corroded and the advance springs had rusted to the point where they just fell apart and lodged themselves on the advance plate. I now have both of them rebuilt but Im having trouble finding the orginal timeing spec to set them up. For now I have set them so they idle at the same speed they were orginally set at. But if you should have the actual degree spec I would appreciate it. Bruce suggested I run the engines under full load WOT and then adjust the timing to just get the maximum possible RPM. Kind of hard for me to do by myself on a lake that is hardly ever smooth enough to be down in the bilge while the boat is bouncing around. Im sure he has a source for the modules and also new distibutors if you should need them.
Another way to solve this if you havnt thought of it is to just swap parts from port to starbrd.
Hope some of this helps.
Bob"

"greetings fellow ohio boater,

"greetings fellow ohio boater, we are in fairport harbor... having wot issues with '87 270 on startboard side. port ok at 4400 rpm, starboard only ~3000. do you think it might be dist or advance springs? all specs correct at idle. thanks!"

"JEFF This could sev. thing

"JEFF This could sev. things ,fuel filter problems,like h2o in filter,could be something on your prop.you don't say what dist. is on your eng.ck the cap ,rotor, wires .play in dist. shaft.coil overheating,you have to start somewhere.if the dist. looks a mess you can get a new one from lighthousemarine .com .they also have repair manules for crusader.. FRANK"

"Jeff:
All I can say is this

"Jeff:
All I can say is this was my problem and it made a big difference. Ive only owned this boat 4 years and it never really ran that good on the high end. But now it revs right up to max rpm without even trying. Best way is to open up the distributor by unscrewing the 2 hold down screws on the distributo cap. Dont worry you cant screw anything up. Then look inside. there is not much to see but it it corroded on the the silver metal areas like the insides of the dist. housing or the sensing unit there is a good chance it should be cleaned up . There are 2 vent screens in the bottom of the dist. housing which I found were all fouled up not allowing the dist. to breathe. Later they did away with this method and just put a gasket under the dist cap to give a perm. moisture proof enviroment. If you need more help just ask me. Id be glad to help a fellow OHIO boater any way I can. If you want my phone number just email me at [email protected].

Also what Frank says is very true. So there may be other ways to narrow this problem down. Again Id be glad to help you out."

Back