Logo

Engine overheated and now its dead no power to anything

1stboat

Regular Contributor
"i wasn't looking at my ga

"i wasn't looking at my gauge and by the time i noticed my temperature was at 210. i stopped immediatly and i gave it one quick thrust in reverse to maybe get anything out of water intake. then tried to limp it home at 1k rpm. after two more minutes the overheat alarm went off and i shut it down for good. went in the water and checked the intake on the outdrive and it was still full of weeds, cleared those out then while a buddy was pulling me in i started the engine in neutral to hopefully get some water running through the engine but i saw that the temp was not going down so i shut her off after another minute or two. when we got to the ramp i went to turn the key to put the drive up and nothing. no power to anything. i have a volvo penta 5.7 gi. my question is, is there a master shut off switch that cuts all power off when the engine overheats to prevent catastrophic damage. if so where is it? thanks."

i was a fuse or circuit breake

i was a fuse or circuit breaker. i pushed the one that said 60 the fuel pump and all the gauges came on. i ran it in the drive way with the ear muffs then i took her out on the lake and she ran just fine. stayed at 150 the whole time. thanks fisherman. i got that manual downloaded. i've been reading some of your advice from other posts and have been following your tips to the other boaters.

Back