Logo

Volvo Penta AQ131A Distributor cap

donf

I replaced the distributor cap

I replaced the distributor cap on my AQ131A and forgot to note which wires go where. Which cylinder is #1 on the engine? and which terminal is #1 on the cap? Thanks for the help!

"#1 cylinder is the one farthe

"#1 cylinder is the one farthest from the transom, or closest to the bow. To determine where #1 lead goes in the cap, turn the engine to TDC at the end of the compression stroke, then remove the cap and see where the rotor is pointing."

"I was afraid you would say th

"I was afraid you would say that. I know TDC means top dead center, but how do I know when the engine is in that position?"

"Fear not <[img]"http://www.ma

"Fear not
biggrin.gif
. There is a mark in the crankshaft pulley that has to line-up with the '0' mark on the timing belt cover by the raw water pump."

"There is a mark punched into

"There is a mark punched into the lip of the distributor. This mark is the location of the #1 spark plug wire regardless of the crank position. However, for future reference, it is good to know where actual TDC (timing) mark is on the crank."

"I have the same problem as Da

"I have the same problem as Dan F, my is AQ125B and I did make a diagram where the wires go but after lining up TDC (#1 piston up and timing mark on pulley/dampener lined up with 0 mark on cover) my rotor points to #2 spark plug wire on distributor.

I did not remove or rotate anything, just cleaned the plugs and points. I do not believe I got my diagram wrong but I was distracted at the time of spark wires removal.

Anybody has a picture they can post to indicate where #1 wire supposed to go? Is it somewhere at approx 5 oclock position if viewed from the front of the engine or is it the one closest to the engine at approx 8 oclock? Please help I am newb, my first boat, '85 Bayliner Capri 1950 Cuddy, AQ125B/270 power.

Thank you"

Neo

"but after lining u

Neo

"but after lining up TDC (#1 piston up and timing mark on pulley/dampener lined up with 0 mark on cover) my rotor points to #2 spark plug wire on distributor."
Your wire may well go to the #2 plug but what you describe is a wire that should go to #1 plug or at least the first to fire in your engine's firing order. (Could that be #2??? I don't think so) The next wire clockwise on the distributer should point to the next cylinder to fire and so on. I don't know what your engine's firing order is but that will be the order of distribution of wires around the distributer to spark plugs.

Just hang on here a bit an you'll get the 'word' from the folks who really know what they are talking about.

"Its possible that I drew my d

"Its possible that I drew my diagram wrong, is the notch on lip of the distributors body supposed to indicate #1 plug wire position on the cap?

That was my impression. BTW the firing order is 1-3-4-2. I will take digi pix and post them in the morning. I just like to be sure that the timing belt did not slip couple of notches.

Thanks"

"Thanks Tom, I got that alread

"Thanks Tom, I got that already, thats just the manual, I have the original that came with the boat.
I need to buy one of those detailed repair manuals.
Everything was closed today around here, did not know all boat places go boating on saturdays, LOL.

Got some books on Volvo repairs from public library because I think the inboard AQ125B is same engine as '82 volvo 240 car so I was reading tru it to get some more info, will continue tomorrow.

Thanks for helping"

"Neo, unless there is somethin

"Neo, unless there is something out of whack with the timing gear position or the distributor installation, the punched mark should point to about 8 O'clock--nearer to the engine (observer is looking toward the stern). If the distributor has not been removed and put back wrong then you may have to remove some stuff from the front of the engine to check the alignment punch marks on the crank, timing gear and cam. Check the belt for wear and tightness, and the cog wheels for rust. If the distributor has been messed with it must be removed. Rotate the distributor gear clockwise a tad before installing. The notch in the dist shaft will point to the right of the punch mark in the dist rim. The shaft will rotate into correct position as it is pushed into the block. It may look a little off after installing but that just means the dist body must be rotated, usually counteclockwise (advanced). If it is way off pull the dist and try again. It is unusual for a belt to slip unless it is very old. In any stock engine, the no 1 plug wire must be at the notch on the distributor rim."

"Hi Denis, thanks for info. Th

"Hi Denis, thanks for info. This is what happen:

Got the new/old boat last week on Friday and took it on lake Saturday, ran well for about 3 hrs cruising at approx 3000 rpm 20mph for couple hours then ran with WOT at approx 4000rpm/35mph for 10 minutes or so, then we dropped anchor for 1/2 hour to swim.

When restarted and warmed up cruising we attempted to go WOT and it would not go past 3000rpm/20mph.

Took boat home, removed wires, plugs, points and checked/cleaned them. Reinstaled all according to diagram I made (see pix 1) for distributor wires and try starting dry, it did after a while and just run it for 10 secs idle speed.

Took it to lake Sunday, started once then died and would not start.

Took it home, replaced plugs, wires, cleaned all electrical connections (they were pretty gunked up) and set the TDC on crank including looking thru oil fill hole on valve cover to make sure both #1 cylinder valves are closed (see pix 2).

The problem is my dist rotor points to #3 position on distributor. (see pix 3). It is puzzling because I did not remove anything that would affect rotation of dist shaft.

Its possible I did my original diagram wrong but I dont think so, its a mystery. If my diagram is right how could it run good on Saturday and if my diagram is wrong #1 does not correspond to notch on distributor lip.

Its simply mind boggling, any insight?

86394.jpg
86395.jpg
86396.jpg
"

"my aq131a had the cables like

"my aq131a had the cables like your second picture when i got it and it ran fine, but then i removed my distributor to take a rusted screw out of the cap and reinstalled the cables with number one on the notch; don't trouble yourself simply put number one
where 3 is and follow the sequence 1342 from there."

Back