Logo

Water in drive bellows

1_bad_bouy

I have a 78 19ft bayliner with

I have a 78 19ft bayliner with a AQ131/275 drive and have been experiencing an abnormal amount of water in my bilge. I have tried repeatedly to inspect while it is running on the water and am unable to detect any water dripping in the bilge or coming from anywhere from engine or bellhousig only some coming from around the transom bolts. I had it moored overnight at a marina and when I got back the next morning there was a fare amount of water in the bilge. When I got it home I inspected the drive bellows and found a little water not much at all maybe a tablespoon or so. I could not find any cracks or holes in the bellows and it is still very pliable. So my questions are what is the likelyhood that the water has penatrated the bearing in the bellhousing. And could I be missing some type of perferation in the bellows. And if not from the drive bellows where could the water be coming from the transom seems very well sealed.

"I would say that the probabil

"I would say that the probability is extremely high, close to 100%. There should be no water at all in the drive bellows.

The bellows is always the prime suspect for water ingress, but it could also be loose clamps, and a perforated bellhousing (the portion that protrudes from the transom shield). It could also come from the outdrive, but then you will have water in the oil. Of course, the water could have also found its way into the bellows from a very high level of water in the bilge.

You will have to find exactly where the water comes from. It would probably be prudent to replace the bellows, and I'm afraid that both the u-joints and the bellhousing bearing will lso need to be replaced (as well as the bellhousing seals)."

"Hi Derrin..From what you have

"Hi Derrin..From what you have said, the water does not enter the boat while you are underway, ie, some of the boat is out of the water. Then, while you are stopped, water enters. Two possibilities come to mind. Either the 'hole' is above the water line while you are on the 'plane' and below and allowing water in when off the plane. More likely tho, the leaky area is 'pressurized' while the engine is running and water enters when the engine is shut down. I suspect a rubber conduit that goes through the hull, not a transom seal. FWIW

Tom"

I would have thought that ther

I would have thought that there would have been more water in the bellows since it looks like the only place it could go would be about an inch up on eather end of the drive. And I dont think the water has been deep enough in the bilge to touch the oil pan.

"Seems like El Pescador and I

"Seems like El Pescador and I were typing at the same time
sun.gif
. If I were to follow one bit of advice here, it would be his not mine
smile.gif

Tom"

"sorry took so long to respond

"sorry took so long to respond, but i always find the same thing in my bellows though everytime i inspect it i re grease my u joints also. i know it is always put back together really tight. so maybe that is a normal thing to have."

Back