Logo

318 shut down

T

Tom Carroll

"My 318 shuts down like someon

"My 318 shuts down like someone turned the ignition key to off, after warming up and will not start right away until it cools a bit. The guys in my harbor think that it is either the modular in the electronic distibutor, the voltage regulator or slight chance the coil. Also I just replaced the carb. adjustment setting correct, engine is timed to 2.5 degrees off dead center. The engine also wide open spins 2300 rpm when it should be spinning 4200 could this be related to the shuting down or two sperate issues?"

"You bet! Spring for a new ig

"You bet! Spring for a new iginiton module--about 30 bucks at NAPA. (Either 4 or 5 pin will work.) If that doesn't do it, change the coil (being sure you get one for a ballast resistor, which you need to check as well. See if the connections are sound.)

Do that and get back to us.

Jeff"

Thanks Jeff

Will do on the

Thanks Jeff

Will do on the iginition module - so the low RPM at wide open and the engine shut down are related? I'll let you know tomorrow about the progress.

Thanks from my kids and I -

"I replaced the iginition modu

"I replaced the iginition module, igintion pickup, rotor and cap which apparently solved the shut down problem. However wide open I am only spinning 2300 rpms like the high speed jets on the carb are not kicking in. The carb is brand new what could be the problem?"

Back