Logo

1958 Johnson Seahorse Model CD15 Lower Unit Removal

youngster

This motor starts and runs wel

This motor starts and runs well but does not pump water when running. I want to get into the water pump housing to the impeller. Is it possible to remove the lower unit without disconnecting all the way up at the powerhead? I know some outboards provide access through a plate in the lower unit to a two piece shift rod that can be disconnected by removing a bolt. This motor does not seem to have that type of arrangement. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

"Unfortuneately, you will need

"Unfortuneately, you will need to remove the seven screws under the pan to remove the powerhead to get the lower unit down. This will allow you to disconnect the shift rod (two square nuts just under the powerhead) to allow the lower unit to drop down. It is a lot easier than it sounds. Good luck."

Doug-

Thanks for the inform

Doug-

Thanks for the information. What about the water tube that connects to the top of the water pump. Do you know if I need to disconnect it at the top or can it be removed where it connects to the pump? It looks like it is held in place by a pin of some sort.

You do not need to disconnect

You do not need to disconnect that tube. The lower unit will drop down after you disconnect the shift rod and unscrew the 4 bolts at the cavitation plate and that tube just slides out of the grommet on the pump housing. Make sure you get it back in that grommet when you push it back up into place. It doesn't always align on its own but you can usually see enough of what you are doing to align it.

Uh Doug?

I just realized th

Uh Doug?

I just realized that this is not a CD-15 but a CD-12 which makes it a '55 not a 58.

Do you know if the information you have provided holds true for the older model?

Sorry for the confusion.

"I can't really say for su

"I can't really say for sure. Actually I was giving you information from my experiences on my 1961, CD-18. I know the Johnson 5.5Hp from 1954 to 1964 (their total run time) all had an incredible amount of similarities. So I would bet that my information is not going to be that far off. That is about the best I can do. Good luck."

Back