Logo

5 HP Merc gas and oil mixture

morgansdaddi00

I am borrowing a friend's

I am borrowing a friend's 2005 Merc 5 HP outboard and want to get the gas and oil mixture correct. The serial number is OT881050. The model number is ME 5M. Can you help

"Ken, I'm thinking that th

"Ken, I'm thinking that this motor should be a 4 stroke - so nothing to mix..."

"The owner said it was a mix a

"The owner said it was a mix and advised me to ask my marine pump juckey what the mix should be. I thoughtt that was unreliable advice so I searched online and found you to be the best resource. The engines manual is not online, nor do I have time to order it. The engine is also very poorly described, as neither a four stroke or two stroke. Now what do you think? Ken"

"Ken, with that serial number

"Ken, with that serial number it has to be a 4 stroke - Merc hasn't built a 2 stroke, 5 horse (which would required mixed gas) anytime in the past 20 years.

Should just take straight gas...."

"Sorry, should restate that la

"Sorry, should restate that last post - haven't built a 5 horse 2 stroke in North America in more like 10 years although Merc in Belgium still produces them. But their serials would be 0Pxxxxx"

They most certainly do make 2-

They most certainly do make 2-stroke 5hp Mercury O/B's.

They are "technically" mercury but they sure say it.They have 5.0 on the back and have built-in tanks.They run 50:1 but you can lean it out a bit more.

My buddy has a 2003 mercury 5hp 2-stroke.

It's pretty easy to tell if it is a 2 or 4 stroke...take the hood off and look at the motor.The 2-stroke will have a basic cylinder head and spark plug...the 4 stroke will a valve cover and a side mount spark plug.Plus the 4 stroke will have a noticeble oil dipstick for checking the oil level....2 strokes use the pre-mix to lube the cylinders.

"I have a 2001 5HP engine, and

"I have a 2001 5HP engine, and I'm positive they still make them. 50:1 mix works well."

i have a mariner 4hp # a890355

i have a mariner 4hp # a890355 what year is it.

Back