Logo

EIgnitionCoil Saga

thostorey

Regular Contributor
"The saga continues...I have a

"The saga continues...I have a purple wire at the positive coil terminal and a white wire at the neg. terminal, that's it. I don't see a ballast resister anywhere. So, so I don't fry my new e-ignition parts, I'd like to buy a higher resistance coil, about 3.8 ohms (I think that's what I need?), epoxy filled. Can anyone provide me with a make/part number available in Canada that I can take to my local Nappa or Lordco? And, do I need to re-mortgage the house to afford one? About what should I be paying?

Thanks, Tom"

"Tom, the coil should have a m

"Tom, the coil should have a minimum resistance of 3 ohm. If you haven't done so, you shuld be able to check the resistance of yours with a multimeter.

Regarding epoxy filled coils, I got one time ago from Lordco out of the Niehoff catalog, but unfortunately I forgot the part number. I'm sure they will look it up for you. And you won't have to remortgage your house: you will just have to sell your first born (just kidding
biggrin.gif
, the price should be around 40 bucks)."

gotta be 3 ohm. Try the pertro

gotta be 3 ohm. Try the pertronix web site if you can't find one from the source EL was talking about. They work awesome.
My boat fires on the second stroke......BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

"All the specs I can find on t

"All the specs I can find on these solid state ignition systems say that the primary coil should have at least 3.2 ohms resistance. I guess I could wire in a ballast resister in series with the coil? This comes from the Hot Spark web site:

"A coil with a minimum of 3.2 Ohms primary resistance is required. DO NOT use a low-resistance or an HEI-style coil. If using a coil with less than 3.2 Ohms primary resistance, you’ll need to install an external ballast resistor between the ignition switch and the coil's positive terminal to increase the total primary resistance to a minimum of 3.2 Ohms. If your vehicle's charging system produces more than 13 volts, you may need to install a 1.2 to 1.35 Ohm ballast resistor or you can install a coil with primary resistance of about 3.8 to 4.2 Ohms."

"Tom, in my opinion you should

"Tom, in my opinion you should be fine with any 3 ohm coil. The difference between 1.5 and 3 ohm will no doubt have an impact in the module, but not the difference between 3 and 3.2 ohm. Besides, all the 3 ohm coils I have measured in the past have more than 3 ohm resistance.

In case of doubt, consider going for the Pertronix Flame Thrower coil that Bob D recommended, as it is specifically desigend to work with the Pertronix electronic ignition system installed on 4 cyl engines (keep in mind that Hot Spark is just a Pertronix clone)."

Back