Logo

Suzuki DT85 Timing Set Up

john

Contributing Member
Can anyone assist me with how

Can anyone assist me with how to set the timing on a Suzuki DT85 early 80's model along with the linkage set up. My problem is it sound like it's only firing on 1 maybe 2 cyl. comp is 145 on all cyl and there is strong spark but when you remove the leads on No 1 & 3 makes very little diference stalls when you remove No 2 lead. Regards John

"John.... The Suzuki is not my

"John.... The Suzuki is not my line of expertise, but if you or someone else has not changed the timing, it's very unlikely that this is where your problem lays.

Since the compression is fine, rig up a spark tester so that you can check the actual spark. Rig it so that you can set a gap of approximately 7/16". Be sure to have the spark plugs removed during the spark testing.

You can also simply stick a proper size philips screwdriver into the spark plug terminal that is within the rubber plug boot, then hold the screwdriver shank the 7/16" distance away from the block. The spark should be a strong blue lightning like flame.

If this is okay..... your explanation of the problem would lead me to believe that your engine has fouled, clogged, gummed carburetors which are restricting the fuel mixture flow. In which case, the cure would be to clean and rebuild them.

Joe
"

Back