Logo

Weak Spark 1976 200hp evinrude

greg

" I have a 200 evinrude that s

" I have a 200 evinrude that starts and runs ok. On the starboard bank of cylinders the bottom two cylinders do not fire well. The motor seems to be down on power and when I remove the plug all plugs are nice and tan at the tip except the bottom two on the SB side. Can anyone help me with some suggstions? I have replaced the coils and checked the spark at an idle or just cranking and it looks nice and blue. The compression is 120 on all cylinders. The carbs have been cleaned, recleaned, and check for sync during operation.
Thank You "

"Greg.... You should be using

"Greg.... You should be using Champion QL77JC4 s/plugs gapped at .040, and the compression you state of 120 psi on all cyls is fine.

The spark, with the s/plugs removed should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame, a real strong solid wide snap!

If you have this type spark on all cylinders, I would be led to believe that something has been overlooked in the carburetors. Did you actually remove the high speed jets and manually clean them?

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe and Happy Holiday

" Thanks Joe and Happy Holidays!!!

I have even swapped the carbs with a 200hp parts motor I have. The plugs in the bottom two starboard cylinders are wet, and have a flakey sort of carbon deposit on them. I am using the ql77j4c's gapped at .040. The motor starts very easy and runs very smooth, its just lacking the power it should have.

Could this have anything to do with the trigger or power pack? I can tell you that if I leave the battery leads connected to the battery for an extended period (3-5 days) the battery is dead when I go to start it.

Thanks for your help.

Greg "

" If the spark jumps the gap a

" If the spark jumps the gap as mentioned, the pack etc are okay. It might be a good idea to remove the head and check for a slightly leaking gasket which might cause a water problem. The dead battery would indicate a battery drain, caused by a slight short somewhere. "

Back