Logo

40 HP Mercury Starter Problem

L

L. Marquith

" I bought a 1983 40 hp Mercur

" I bought a 1983 40 hp Mercury late in season this year. The question I have is this. When you choke it and turn over it turns over way to slow almost like your battery is dead. When it fires but is not running it turns over alot easier. I was wondering if anyone ever experienced this problem. It almost seems to me like a car engine when the timing is to far advanced and you turn it over warm. It will start but turn over very slow. Is it possible that the timing is off, starter problem, or any other ideas. Thanks for any advice or knowledge anyone has.Oh it is a model 1402T 1983 40 hp Merc. "

"Mercurys are not my line of e

"Mercurys are not my line of expertise but your problem is a common one that could be attributed to any engine.

Since the engine does turn over normally at times, you can pretty well assume that the starter is okay (hopefully).

Usually that type problem is contributed to a slightly loose battery cable, or tight but dirty cable connection, or a cable that is corroded within the insulation somewhere.

After the engine has been turning over slowly for a few seconds, check by hand for a overly warm or hot cable. A hot cable will lead you to a faulty connection quite quickly.

This type problem could be at the battery, starter solenoid, the gound cable conection, or even at the starter.

It's unlikely that the timing is any part of the problem. If it was, the engine should kick back, firing against itself. Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

" Joe, I have the boat in the

" Joe, I have the boat in the garage for storage for the winter, but I will check those items out when possible. I see you are on here alot so you should be easy to reply to. Perhaps after these holidays are over I can do some checks on the cables and connections without turning the boat over. Would it hurt to turn it over a bit without fuel in it just to check or will I damage any seals or anything? Thanks. "

"There would be enough lubrica

"There would be enough lubrication within the crankcase whereas you could crank it over without doing any damage. However, it would be a good idea to take the plug wires off of the spark plugs just in case..... you don't want it to actually start and run. Tonyob is the Mercury guru but he's been pretty tied up with a business venture lately. Perhaps he'll be jumping in here later on.

Joe
"

" Hey thanks.Like I say I will

" Hey thanks.Like I say I will probably venture into this when the holidays are over but am thankful for any advice. I am fairly mechanically inclined with most gas engines(cars ,lawn mowers) but will take any advice I can get on outboards. Happy holidays. "

" While you are checking it, c

" While you are checking it, check your starter solenoid. It may be going bad. It will work correctly when the engine is cold, but the added load of a warm engine may make it drag. Try all of Joe's checks first and then check the soledoid. Good luck and have fun on the water. "

Back