Logo

Volvo Penta over heat problem

M

Mike Parrish

"My 02' VP 350 Gi went int

"My 02' VP 350 Gi went into safe mode (beeping and cut to idle) this weekend while skiing. I changed the rubber water impeller, which had a couple of vanes missing, and thermostat which unfortunately did not fix it. I am not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?"

"i have the same engine and ha

"i have the same engine and had the same problem. i replaced the same thing you did, but it still over heated. talked to volvo mechanic and he had me take the risers off and check those. mine were corroded so he had me scrape the corrosion off. it helped me, might help you too. make sure you get gaskets to replace the ones your going to damage first. its easy, just four bolts and four clamps on each side. one hour tops. also check the hose connector on the outdrive for tears or corrosion."

"yep but remember to tighten d

"yep but remember to tighten down your risers on that new gasket to specs from maker, many risers are tightened down so much that it actually strips out inside the manifold and will always loosen on you causing damaging leaks to your engine. you would think the tighter the better but is not the case. also if your risers are in bad enough shape to overheat your motor it would be wise to go ahead and replace them , much eaiser and cheaper than the engine.....good luck"

I took off the thermostat cove

I took off the thermostat cover and found the water inlet port from the pump clogged with pump vanes. Cleaned out and fixed the problem. By the was what is the torque on the risers?

Back