Logo

440 cooling system

D

David E Johnson

I am restoring a 72 Arabian an

I am restoring a 72 Arabian and have just put in a remanufactured 440. I can not find out how to plumb the raw water cooling sytem. The old engine was in pieces when I got the boat. Where can I get a cooling diagram/

"Here you go.

<[img]"

"Here you go.

86040.jpg
86041.jpg
"

"Thanks, but mine is raw water

"Thanks, but mine is raw water cooled. I really need to know where each hose goes."

Thanks. I do have a dual pock

Thanks. I do have a dual pocket with a V-drive. I assume I can plumb the v-drive the same as single pocket diagram. My manifolds are new too so I am not sure which holes to use. They are original style. It seems every 440 I look at has a different plumbing set-up.

"My 440s are single pocket pum

"My 440s are single pocket pumps with FWC so I really can't speak to your exact configuration other than what was in my manual.

However, in general the water should come in at the lowest point on the manifolds and exit at the highest point (at opposite ends of the manifold of course).

Do not cut a hole in the gaskets between the manifolds and the elbows. Use a hose at to route water to the elbows.

My manifolds have a 1" hose with a 90 degree elbow at the bottom of the manifold (on the V-drive end) for the inlet. For the outlet there is a 3/4" straight hose barb at the top back of the manifold that goes to the elbows."

Back