Logo

Volvo penta AQ125a wont stay idling

diam88

"I have a AQ125A motor.I repla

"I have a AQ125A motor.I replaced the timing belt.has new cap & rotor,coil, electronic rotor so no need to set points.When I start it it revs hi then stalls.I can keep it running but I have to keep the engine reving Hi @3000-5000rpms runs smooth.I can't get it to idle.please help"

"Bad gas would not help, howev

"Bad gas would not help, however what is the posibility that when installing the timing belt that someting moved on you. Also did yoy set your points to the right spacing."

i could be off on the spacing.

i could be off on the spacing.When i replaced the belt I couldnt find the mark on the ACC wheel being ca roted{ignition wheel}So I tried my best to line the rotor to the casing mark.If thats the problem what other way can I line it up with the timing notch.

how would you set points.im ne

how would you set points.im new at this boat engine stuff.also what other thing can i do to make sure timing is right

"Could be junk in the carburet

"Could be junk in the carburetor. The idle jet or needle could be involved. Something the size of a grain of sand will jam it up. I've experienced the same issue and never found the problem. However, unscrewing parts and blowing some carb cleaner apparently fixed things. I doubt that the belt timing is off. As to the points adjustment, turn the cam until the gap is maximum. Using a feeler gauge, adjust to 0.015 (loose) or 0.016 (tight). Adjust ignition timing with an ohmeter. Line up the rotor and dist mark and crank to 0, and then rotate the timing mark on the crank to 10 degrees btdc. Hook the meter to the points wire (dist hot terminal) and ground. Rotate the distributor counter clockwise until the meter reads open circuit (max resistance). Tighten the dist bolt. Now, Seloc specs 10 deg for the AQ125A timing. However, I have found mistakes in this manual. For example, 6 degrees is spec'ed for the AQ140A when the Volvo engine manual says ten. Verify."

"The above is for general info

"The above is for general information purposes. Frankly, I had a hard time understanding what you said. "ACC wheel, ignition wheel, ca roted" and so forth."

"I arrived here because I have

"I arrived here because I have an identical problem. been out 5 times this season with no problems but after filling up with gas I can no longer idle as the engine stalls but it will run fine above 3000 rpm, played with the idle and air adjustments, shot a lot of carb cleaner, no change. I've got 20 gallons of gas and no way to purge it. Am looking for a carb as I'm sure this needs rebuilding ( 26 yo) but these posts give me hope. I'll try removing and cleaning more first, any other suggestions? engine rebuilt 2 years ago, new coil, wires, points and plugs, starts eassily at throttle, will not idle and therefore won't shift or run. dreading pulling it from my slip onto the trailer."

Back