Logo

Carburetor Question

C

clayag05

" I have a 1964 Chrysler West

" I have a 1964 Chrysler West Bend Outboard(6HP, Model #6401) with a Tillotson carb. I am having some trouble with my engine running at high speeds. Here is a scenario to help explain my question: When I am on the lake with the throttle at full speed, the motor seems to be holding back. When I am traveling full throttle and I disconnect the fuel line, the motor will continue to "hold off" for a few seconds and then the motor will rev. up and operate like its supposed to until the gas runs out of the carb. What kind of problem do I have and how do it fix it? Is it just simply adjusting the Hi speed mixture screw? If so, does anyone have a link to a diagram that shows which adjustment screw is the hi speed adjustment for this style carb? Thanks. "

" Clayag05, It sounds like th

" Clayag05, It sounds like the Carbs may be slightly flooding, or at least running rich. When you disconnect the fuel line, the fuel level drops, correcting the problem until the gas runs out. Check that the Carb. inlet needle is good and the float is set correctly. Good luck "

Back