Logo

1972 115 INLINE 6 MERCURY PROBLEMS HELP

tsquire01

"I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1972 115

"I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1972 115 (1150) MERC, I CHANGED THE WATER PUMP, CLEANED ALL WATER LINES SINCE I HAD NO FLOW OUT THE (PEE HOLE). AFTER INSTALLING IT ON MY BOAT AND GETTING IT ON THE WATER NOW I HAVE NO POWER. THE ENGINE JUST DOSENT PUSH RIGHT AT FIRST LIKE IT SHOULD, IT TAKES AROUND 30 SECONDS TO A MINUTE JUST TO GET THE BOAT TO PLANE. AT FIRST THOUGHT I HAD A CARB PROBLEM WHICH I STILL MIGHT, BUT I HAVE RUN A TANK OF GAS TREATED WITH SEA FOAM THROUGH THE MOTOR AND ITS RUNNING BETTER THAN IT DID AT FIRST, BUT WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE?"

"Travis, First do a compressio

"Travis, First do a compression check. All cylinders should be 100PSI or greater and within 10% of each other. Next make sure all cylinders are getting spark. Run the motor and put a inductive timing light on each spark plug wire. They should spark in rhythm. if these tests are good, then it is likely a lean idle mixture on the carbs.

Open the idle mixture screw on the top carb 1/8 turn. Try to accelerate. If not good, open the mixture screw on then mid carb 1/8 and try again. Repeat with bottom carb. If still won't accelerate, repeat sequence.

Alos look for spark arcing to ground, especially on the lower spark plug wires."

"SOUNDS GREAT, IM GONNA GIVE A

"SOUNDS GREAT, IM GONNA GIVE ALL THESE A TRY AND IF I STILL HAVE TROUBLE, HOPEFULLY YOU CAN CATCH THIS POST AGIAN"

"i have a 72 1135 & 72 113

"i have a 72 1135 & 72 1135 both with burnt pistons,I am an auto engine builder but have never worked on marine engines do these blocks typically need tobe sleeved,what else am in for?"

Back