Logo

Is there such a thing as a outboard BIBLE

monte

Regular Contributor
"I always wondered,
Is there

"I always wondered,
Is there such a thing as a outboard bible, I'm constantely looking for a model number search(most of the time I ask people on this site) and I'm trying to find out a year of a part and all the years, makes and models that it fits. for example I find a carburator and I have no idea what year make or model it's from. most of the part searches come up as discontinued, I don't want to buy a new carb,I just want to know were it's from.(most of my parts are pre 1968)I know the best way would be to purchase each individual manual, but that would be really expensive! Isn't there a swiss army knives of books for outboards, so I could look out all model numbers(not just OMC) and have a full list of part numbers ever made for every model on every year and what they fit.I might be dreaming but thought I'd ask
Thanks Guys
biggrin.gif
"

"If you ever find one Andre, g

"If you ever find one Andre, grab one for me too - would make life so much easier. It's a major undertaking just to correlate a Canadian serial number, much less get ahold of a master list..."

"I here ya Graham!
So how do

"I here ya Graham!
So how do you do it.Don't tell me you have every parts manual for every model and hp.This web site and others help with post 1968 but what if it's pre 68.
My big delema is, if I'm selling bottom end gears for example for a 57 RD19 35hp I get emails and requests if those gears would fit a 1980 35hp evinrude. or other model and years.Well I don't know how to answer there questions, I don't even know were to aquire the information.It's pretty frustrating but I'm sure I'm not the only one.
If I find the holy grail of outboards I will put one a side for you graham
lol.gif
"

"Andre, it's a little bit

"Andre, it's a little bit of everything. I use online parts lists from Merc/OMC - there is also ones for Yami Honda and Suzuki (but I don't have much to do with them - just not popular out my way).

I do however have 50 or 60 Merc service manuals along with 5 or 6 Selocs (mostly for the OMC's - I'll always first off be a "small Merc" guy).

Also have homemade lists of model/serial number sheets that my dad compiled over the years (a real small engine guy), some service sheets/parts lists and assorted information on aircooled outboards.

In most cases you have to put the onus on the "buyer" to do their homework. It's their motor and the info is out there usually in the manual that they should be using to swap out a lower end, or rebuild gears in the first place....

If you can help out great, but I wouldn't make a full time job of it - leave that for mostly retired guys like me
"

"If you're speaking to Gra

"If you're speaking to Graham...you're speaking to the outboard BIBLE himself. If he doesn't know the answer...we're all screwed, pitched, and down right up a creek without a paddle!!!"

"Bible.... Hmmm, not sure. Boo

"Bible.... Hmmm, not sure. Book of outboard cuss words..... Yes, I have one of those (grin)."

Just visit your local friendly

Just visit your local friendly OMC dealer and get a copy of the interchange manual.They were available and I have a couple of them ( not for sale but may sell a copy )

Back