Logo

2006 Mercury 60 HP Outboard Gas leaking from vent hose

quickdraw

"I am looking for a fix for my

"I am looking for a fix for my 2006 60 HP Mercury outboard. The engine only has about 20 hours on it, in it's second season. Just recently I have noticed a lot of gas leaking from the vent hose that is connected to the fuel pump (slilver box on left side of engine, if standing behind it). This hose is connected to the top of the fuel pump and feeds down to the bottom of the engine casing where it vents out. The gas drips more at idle speed than high speed.

Any thoughts?

Is my fuel pressure too high? There is a pressure valve on the fuel pump, if you release it while the engine is running quite a bit of fuel will shoot out. Is that normal?

Thanks
Brad"

"Brad, maybe I'm missing s

"Brad, maybe I'm missing something here but don't believe you should have a "vent line" on your fuel pump.

Should be three hoses connected to it. One is the inlet from the tank connector, another goes over to the carb and the 3rd is the line coming in from the oil injection.

Your motor is an oil injected 2 stroke???"

No..it's a 4 stroke. This

No..it's a 4 stroke. This hose that I'm speaking about goes directly out the bottom of the engine.

This just started yesterday and I don't have a service manual yet and all shops are closed today.

Thanks
Brad

"Sorry Brad, yours is even new

"Sorry Brad, yours is even newer than my latest service manual - at least from the description of the fuel pump.

I have a 2000-on 4 stroke service manual for 50/60 horse and has no mention or diagram showing that hose....

In fact, the 4 stroke service manuals are horrible with no troubleshooting information at all.."

"Graham,

Just an FYI. I fo

"Graham,

Just an FYI. I found out today that the fuel is leaking from the vent on the "vapor separater", not the fuel pump. I will be taking it in for service, but I thought you would like to know this info.

Thanks,
Brad"

"Thanks Brad, these are pretty

"Thanks Brad, these are pretty "new" motors to me, but do imagine in the next ten years or so a few will be coming to us "home garage mechanics", so I do appreciate the info..."

Back