Logo

125 force water pump Overheating Horn under steering wheel

braxton30

"Help! I have a 125 force mot

"Help! I have a 125 force motor and I'm not sure if it's overheating or the water pump is out. The horn underneath the steering wheel has been going off once and while however it stayed on the other day and I had to cut the wire. What does this horn mean? The boat ran fine and still does. Futhermore, I have put a hose to the motor to try and check the water pump and I have a small amount of water coming out of the bottom of the motor where the exhaust is I believe. Is this where the water pump discharges the water after its gone through the motor? Also, the 2 holes that are just below the cover is spitting small drops of water or sometimes just hot air, should this be a steady flow? I would appreciate any help is this matter I am really confused. Thanks!"

"Sounds like the engine is ove

"Sounds like the engine is overheating and impeller replacement time is way overdue. Continued running as such will probably fry your engine. You should have a fairly steady stream of water out of the the holes, not just hot air.
The owners manual should explain the basics. A repair manual would be my next investment."

"Brandon,

I have one too.

"Brandon,

I have one too. Trouble with the hose test is that the hose pressure will expell water from the engine even if the impeller is shot.

Owners manual recommends replacing impeller every year. I usually have to do it every 2 to 3 years.

To check proper water cooling flow run engine at idle or just a bit faster and check level of water being expelled. At this low speed water is expelled from the top of the motor shaft. If you don't get a good deal of water spitting out you need a new impeller. I check this every time I take the boat out. You never know when you might get something blocking the water intake.

At high speeds the cooling water is expelled down by the propeller with the exhaust.

Jerry"

Back