Logo

Universal diesel vibration

R

Ron Brassord

" The Universal 3 cyl 22 hp in

" The Universal 3 cyl 22 hp in my newly acquired sailboat has a 'rough spot' in the middle rpm range. I do not have a tackometer, but it runs smooth up to 1/4 throttle, then rough until it smooths out again at a little more than half throttle. I get hull speed at a little less than half, so the rough spot seems to be right in the range I would like to run. It's not a bad vibration, more of an irratation from the noise. It runs real sweet at a high throttle setting. It is the same in or out of gear, although a little more pronounced in gear. The engine is 15 years old and has less than 1500 hours [per previous owner]which is about normal for a sailboat. It starts easy, and runs clean otherwise. It gets run about 2 hours each trip out. Fuel and filters are clean. If it were gas, I'd be changing points and plugs I think.
Run it and enjoy, or try to remedy?
Ron B lighthouse point Fl. "

I need the instalation specs

I need the instalation specs for Universal Atomic Deisel engine m30. 3 cylinder.
Midge

"I'd say run it and enjoy.

"I'd say run it and enjoy. Most Westerbeke engines are industrial engine blocks adapted for marine use. In many of these engines, operator discomfort due to vibrations was overlooked as the engine was expected to be used in a tractor or other piece of equipment, so attention to harmonic inbalances and other vibration causing issues were not addressed as they would be in an application-specific marine engine."

Back