Logo

1968 Merc 500 50 hp

C

chris_raz

"I just puchased my first firs

"I just puchased my first first boat/motor (S# 2480341). Prior to putting in the water, I changed lube in the lower unit. When I drained it, it was mostly water. So I filled it up, replaced the drain and vent plugs, and started it up. It appears the lube and water is escaping throught he inside of the propeller. I am guessing this isn't right... What next??"

"Chris, you should get water c

"Chris, you should get water coming out of the prop (from the powerhead cooling) mixed with burnt/unburnt gas/oil as well.

If it is in fact your lower unit oil, then your seals are shot (needs lower unit seal kit). You could have it pressure tested which would tell you for sure..

The kit itself is not very expensive, but to do it yourself you need a manual and alot of patience - can be quite a chore getting some parts disassembled on an old unit..."

"Graham, thanks for your respo

"Graham, thanks for your response. I think what I'll do first is run it a bit with the muffs, let it cool and then check to see if water is in the oil. That should give me an indication, right? Also, a couple of inches to the right of the lower unit vent plug, there is a larger plug that says "flush". What is this for? Thanks again for your help."

"Chris, that may give you part

"Chris, that may give you part of the answer. If the seals at the water pump are bad, then you will probably see water in the lower unit.

If you however, the problem is at the propshaft, then you may or may not have an issue since it isn't submerged in water.

But take a look...."

Back