Logo

Clinton Outboard Question

"Graham--I have the same motor

"Graham--I have the same motor as Tim Zimmerman--a 1969 3.5 H.P. Wards Sea King manufactured by Clinton--It uses an external fuel tank with a unique connector at the engine. I need the same hose connector. Is there a common connector, such as OMC or Mercury that would work? By the way, I located a recoil assembly at http://www.anglersfishinginfo.com/classified/motors.html buy did not find a fuel hose connector--any suggestions?"

"I thought a couple of picture

"I thought a couple of pictures might help
170612.jpg
Manufactures Plate"">
170613.jpg
Fuel Connection"">
170614.jpg
1969 3.5 HP Sea King Model BJ9 1106 B

"Sorry, wasn't looking bac

"Sorry, wasn't looking back far enough with my Clinton manuals - both of you have "J" model Clintons (J350 more precisely).

I have found original Clinton part numbers for the fittings -

69-331-500 was the male end and
69-332-500 the female end (the end on your motor in the picture).

Don't have a clue where you would find one though. Personally might be inclined to change both ends - looks like maybe the Merc round style connectors may "cosmetically" fit.

If you aren't worried about looks, for less than 20 bucks you can get OMC fittings - engine mounted and hose end (which I use on my Mercs) simply because all "OMC's" are the same so only need to carry 1 spare gas line that will fit whatever I have hangin' off the back..."

"For the Clinton built 3.5 HP

"For the Clinton built 3.5 HP Wards Sea king a fuel connection to engine kit (not the original) is available from Discount Marine Parts for around $20. Look them up on the Web at http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/index.html and give them a call at 906-466-2180.
They were very helpful.
Hope this helps everyone..."

everybody i've talked to s

everybody i've talked to says you can't get parts for the seaking/clinton engine.thats why i gave the one i was going to buy back.

I have a Ward Seaking 6hp mode

I have a Ward Seaking 6hp model vmb19074a serial 66x10357. Can you still get parts for this motor and if so where? I don't want to work on it if I can't get parts.

Mike

"Mike, Wards is out of busines

"Mike, Wards is out of business and Chrysler who built this 1966 model motor has been out of business as well for over 20 years.

Some parts are still available, depending on what you are looking for and what it may need.

Personally, I wouldn't spend very much on it. Even in perfect running condition it is worth somewhat under 100 bucks in the used market...."

"I recently acquired a Montgom

"I recently acquired a Montgomery Wards 7.5hp outboard. The Metal tag in front of the engine says it is a Clinton Model: K7515107B, Serial: 1521561, Type: XTV50507B. So far I have been reasonably successful in getting this little engine to run. However, the plastic Cover/Fuel tank is broken badly. Can anyone help me locate a Owners / Parts manual or a replacement cover."

"OK here is the label of what

"OK here is the label of what I just got (Wards 5HP):

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/arbarnhart/5HPmotor.jpg"

Can you tell year or anything in particular I should know?

Is this the hard to find fitting?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/arbarnhart/5HPmotor1.jpg"

Someone is going to give me a line fitting he thinks may work, but if it doesn't Iwill take the advice above and convert it.

Mine was stored dry (properly; it was shipped and then shelved) and I need to add the lower unit oil. I ordered a manual, but I want to go ahead and get this done if I can. The vent plug is obvious - in the exhaust/water outlet. Is the fill plug one of the screws for the prop gear housing?

This one is in pretty amazing shape. It looks like it was pretty much rebuilt or at least refurbished when it was shipped and then just set aside for whatever reason. Everything turns freely. I was still taking a chance buying it dry, but the guy's story rings true (shipped to him, kept it as a spare for a while, doesn't want to mess with setting it up so selling cheap - $60). Of course I already spent another $40 or so getting a tank and line, and $9 on a manual, and..."

"That's me above - I follo

"That's me above - I followed some lnks in other posts and figured out it is a 1974 Clinton K 500 made for Wards as Sea King, but that is all I know..."

"Me again - I got the fuel lin

"Me again - I got the fuel line assembled. I tried to lube the lower trhough the screw holes and I don't think I really got it proper. I cranked it just to see that it would. No problem! But I really need the lower unit info (my manual will come, but if someone can clue me in sooner, I would appreciate it."

"The gas tank cracked on our m

"The gas tank cracked on our montgomery ward sea king 3.5 boat motor, its internal built in. Does anyone know where we can find the replacement part?"

"I had a little Tanaka (sp

"I had a little Tanaka (sp?) with an internal tank that cracked. I don't know if it is the same stuff, but it is one of the few things I have used the two part "plastic weld" (<u>NOT</u> epoxy) on that it worked perfectly on. I meant it really lived up to it's name - it was like the plastic melted at the cracked and formed back together. It never leaked again."

"does anyone know if these Cli

"does anyone know if these Clinton motors run good or not? I know of someone trying to get rid of a 9hp for a little under $300 and I have a 14ft. jon boat I was thinking of getting it and putting it on but havent really heard of these motors. Just didnt want to sink money into a motor that doesnt run strong, what the comparison to the old evinrude or johnson motors? any info would help! Thanks, Mac"

"Mac, Clinton made a decent mo

"Mac, Clinton made a decent motor.

However, they are long out of business. Parts can be difficult to find, and expensive if you do find them.

A 9 horse Clinton is worth no more than 100-150 bucks in the used market, it probably only cost about 300-500 brand new depending on the year.

You can't compare it to an OMC or a Merc of the same period. A 9 horse Clinton probably came from the late 70's - a similar "Brand" name would sell for 500 or more, would still be somewhat supported by the mfg to some degree, would have a solid ignition system and be a water cooled motor.

Additionally, this is a single cylinder engine. So unless tuned perfectly it will shake like a wet dog outside on a cold day - a major mfg would have built this in a 2 cylinder model.

The 9 horse was a combination air cooled/water cooled motor. The engine itself was basically a lawnmower engine and was air cooled. The exhaust was water cooled - helped keep the noise to a minimum among other things.

If it's running well it still is a decent motor, but not for 300 bucks - it's worth half that if it's in decent shape..."

"Thank you so much for the inf

"Thank you so much for the info galamb! I deff. dont wanna spend money on a piece, and im not even sure if its tuned good or not! so your info is greatly appreciated, I will just sit back and wait on a johnson or a merc to come up that I can afford! again thanks so much for the help!"

"I have a wards sea king 7.5 h

"I have a wards sea king 7.5 hp motor 1978 or 79. It has been hanging in my gargage for 23 years. Its in mint condition, I do not no if it runs or not. I need to know what tc-w oil is. I would like to sell it but have no idea how much it is worth. please someone e-mail me and give me an idea of how much its worth.."

"I have a wards sea king 7.5 h

"I have a wards sea king 7.5 hp motor 1978 or 79. It has been hanging in my gargage for 23 years. Its in mint condition, I do not no if it runs or not. I need to know what tc-w oil is. I would like to sell it but have no idea how much it is worth. please someone e-mail me and give me an idea of how much its worth.."

graham i see that you're t

graham i see that you're the expert on these little engines. i have an old 3.5 hp sea king model number vmb27903b serial 86x21793. what year was it made and where can i get a prop for it? oh and how much is it worth if any? thx

"Ken, not really the expert -

"Ken, not really the expert - just have alot of info laying around

If you wipe away some more of the guck you will find the model to be VWB 27903B, which makes it a 1968, single cylinder, 3.5 horse Chrysler built for Montgomery Wards department stores.

I can't even find a part number for a prop, or anyplace that sells them. I was never too fond of Chryslers and have limited information as a result.

Laings Outboards sells most maintenace parts for this and as a shot in the dark you could try getting ahold of the guys at www.discount-marine-parts.com - they used to be a Chrysler dealer way back and still have tons of factory parts - might be able to help you with the prop (or at least a part number and a nudge in the right direction).

As to value - not much, 25-50 bucks if it's running...."

"i just purchased a clinton mo

"i just purchased a clinton mod. aj91000b serial -200395 does anybody know where i can get a manual and it appears to be water cooled and could anybody tell me how many hp mine is and what the fuel mixture is. thanks [email protected]"

"jdgroh - I can send you an o

"jdgroh - I can send you an original owners manual/parts manual in pdf format.

Click on my name to the left and drop me an email - if you put your model in as the title, I will get it right off to you...

The manual will answer all your questions..."

"Hi,
Just purchased a Clinton

"Hi,
Just purchased a Clinton air-cooled outboard model j5 1105, serial 095835, type unknown. Excellent condition and runs really nicely. Can anybody (galamb?) give me any info - hp, settings, fuel mix, year of manufacture etc.

Thanks, Lynne (UK)"

i have a clinton outboard mode

i have a clinton outboard model #w100 1000 serial#31227 and was wondering if anyone could give me some info about it.I am not sure what type of oil to run or what ratio to mix it at.

"I just received a Sea king GG

"I just received a Sea king GG8860A, 75X702426 is there any body out there that could tell me the year, HP Fuel Mix repair Manual Exc. anything would help thank for your help.

Frank"

"Frank, that is a 1957 Gale &#

"Frank, that is a 1957 Gale (OMC), dressed as a Sea King for Montgomery Wards department stores.

If you clean up the tag a little better I think you should find that the model is actually GG8960A, making it a twin cylinder, 5 horse identical to Gale's own model 5D14 "buccaneer".

Should mix at 24:1 and if you are looking for a manual you could try www.discount-marine-parts.com and for parts you can try www.laingsoutboards.com"

Back