Logo

Clinton Outboard Question

i have a j9 clinton motor does

i have a j9 clinton motor does anybody know the hp rating

The J9's are 5 horse motor

The J9's are 5 horse motors built in the early 60's. These are air-cooled so you use normal 2 cycle engine oil such as used with lawnmowers and chainsaws (NOT marine TCW-3 oil).

You can mix with regular unleaded gas (86/87 octane) at 24:1..

"Attention Graham Lamb

I ju

"Attention Graham Lamb

I just pick up a Sea King 7.5 Clinton Outboard it pulls great with what seems to be good compression the problem is the prop shaft and prop are missing along with the shaft gear, thanks to you on one of your other post you had my model number and indicated the year 1978, since you have a wealth of information can you direct me to a vender who by some remote chance could have the parts I am looking Thank You
Frank Perras"

"Frank, if anyone has what you

"Frank, if anyone has what you are after it will be a place called twin city outboards www.twincityoutboards.com

Their stuff can be a little on the pricey side compared to other recyclers but they have "everything"...."

Thank You Graham for the infor

Thank You Graham for the information I am waiting for an answer back from the link you provided
Twin city Outboards.

"Also, Graham after going thru

"Also, Graham after going thru a cleaning process with this Sea King 7.5 HP and checking to see I have spark on the plug and it seems like its primed I am beginning to get a really good pull back on the cord after I make a complete pull thru. I am not to familiar with outboards so is this normal? is it about to fire off?? I dont have this secured very well so I want to ask questions first. Thanks"

"Frank, you only need three th

"Frank, you only need three things for the motor to fire - compression/gas-oil-air mix/and a spark.

If you are feeling a bit of resistance and you have spark I would suspect that there was insuffient gas in the cylinder or it would have fired for you. However, a weak spark could prevent it from firing as well. Did you throw in a new plug?"

"Graham, I located the air int

"Graham, I located the air intake on the carburator behind some bracket and using a small squirt can put just a little gas in the carb and it tried starting so I believe this is a good engine that some how lost its prop and shaft,?? perhaps broke, bent ?? but I think it is now worth pursuing the parts. I called the Twin Cities Outboard and I need to send in my lower unit so they can match up what I have, so that seems to be where I am at unless I can find the same model and hp who has other problems and buy the whole outboard I guess the cost is something around 80.00 + shipping"

"Frank, you could easily find

"Frank, you could easily find another 7.5 clinton on Ebay for that price. Perhaps that would be the way to go and use what you have as spare parts.

They are fairly simple little engines and you could keep one going for quite a while with the parts from the other..."

i've got a sea king 3.5 hp

i've got a sea king 3.5 hp made by the clinton engine corp. i need the fuel inlet device that will allow me to hook up a gas tank

Your piece may be difficult to

Your piece may be difficult to find and expensive when you do find it. An easier/cheaper solution is to find an OMC/BRP dealer (evinrude/johnson) and get an OMC gas connector for the engine end. They are inexpensive and standard for all OMC models - ditto the fuel lines (or change your fuel line connection to OMC as well).

Even my Merc's have OMC fittings at the engine now and they work great....

"Graham, the 7.5 Sea King I ha

"Graham, the 7.5 Sea King I have been working on is now running great, wow what a find, I do have another question you have said these are air cooled with the fins on the motor and surrounding area, my question: is the exhaust water cooled or air cooled as well, on the rear side of the leg just at the top of prop there is a vent opening that looks like it could be an intake. Thanks"

"Frank, could be one of two wa

"Frank, could be one of two ways. Most of the small "generic" outboards used a common "leg" (exhaust housing). An OMC will have the same leg and it's a water cooled motor. So the "common leg" was designed for multiple applications. Some models had a water cooled exhaust as you mention - others were strictly air cooled.

I believe alot of the 7.5's had a water cooled exhaust, but off the top of my head just can't say for sure"

"Graham, along with that 1978

"Graham, along with that 1978 7.5 Sea King I also got an older Wards outboard motor, Model is 64GG-9005 Ser # 34639 here is a picture of what I have can you tell me anything about it, the motor has compression and turns the prop when pulled but I see no spark but then the spark plug wire looks pretty bad.the unit appears to be complete
150579.jpg
"

"Frank, that is a 1945/46 Gale

"Frank, that is a 1945/46 Gale (OMC) model 133 - single cylinder 3 horse. The 3 horse Gale in that vintage was also sold under the brand names Hiawatha and Sea Bee."

i've got a sea king 3.5 hp made by the clinton engine corp.whats the 2 cycle engine oil ounces of oil required per ratio to a gallon of gas???

"Graham I have determined that

"Graham I have determined that the Gale 3 hp has no spark and after removing the top from the ignition area and doing a little clean up there I am wondering if the capacitor is the problem since it may be the original one, I cleaned up the point with a point file, lightly and repaired some of the wires but most all of it is very old and tender. how do I determine what capacitor should replace this one, I understand a capacitor just stores energy and its that other stuff in there that generates it so what other tests can I run to narrow this down to what the problem is ??
I am lot short on terms here so forgive me.
Thanks Frank"

"I don't know of any way t

"I don't know of any way to test the condenser - it's one of those things that you replace when everything else checks out good.

I do imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to come by a new one. You could try www.discount-marine-parts.com"

i've got a sea king 3.5 hp made by the clinton engine corp.whats the 2 cycle engine oil ounces of oil required per ratio to a gallon of gas???

"The mix rate is 24:1 (reg

"The mix rate is 24:1 (regular unleaded) and normal 2 cycle engine such as used for lawnmowers and chainsaws, not marine 2 cycle TCW-3 oil which is designed for water cooled engines.

I can't tell you how many ounces to the gallon. In Canada and the U.K. our gallon is larger than in the US (plus we now mostly deal with litres/milliliters).

In any event just about every bottle of oil for 2 stroke motors has a chart on the back label and will give you the oz/gallons or ml/litres as the case applies for a number of different ratio's..."

"I have a 1969 Sea King 3.5 &#

"I have a 1969 Sea King 3.5 (Clinton) OB needing a complete recoil assembly. Also, needing a fuel connector. Any idea where I can find these items?"

"Graham, I just was given a Mo

"Graham, I just was given a Montgomery Ward Sea King outboard model XTV 50576, Type # K7517106 Serial no. 1606300, dunno what year and not sure of hp but by the looks of it I don't believe it is larger than 6hp. Any information and precautions about it would be great help to see if I can kick some life into it."

My brother in law recently pic

My brother in law recently picked up a Sea King 7 hp motor. The motor cover also says Montgomery Ward on it. We are looking for the proper gas/oil mixture for it. Motor info as follows:

Model # K700 3107B
Type # 6027370R
Serial # 925600

Any help would be appreciated also would like to know the year of it.

"Scott, you have a Clinton out

"Scott, you have a Clinton outboard built for Wards and sold under their store brand "sea king".

You can mix it at 50:1 but use normal 2 cycle motor oil (such as used with lawnmowers/chainsaws) not "marine TCW-3" oil. This is an air-cooled engine and needs the regular oil.

From what you have posted I can't give you a year. The K700's were built over a number of model years.

On the tag should be another number "KTV" followed by some digits (sometimes looks like XTV) - that will give the exact year..."

"I HAVE A MINT 3.5 HP SEA KING

"I HAVE A MINT 3.5 HP SEA KING (CLINTON ENGINE)
MY QUESTION IS WHAT TYPE OF GAS FITTING TO USE DINT COME WITH ANY IT LOOKS LIKE A MURCURY?

PLEASE HELP

[email protected]"

"Tim, the 3.5 Clinton built mo

"Tim, the 3.5 Clinton built models originally had an "internal" fuel tank, so it was simply connected to the carb by a piece of hose with a shut-off valve spliced in.

Are you wanting to hook this up to use a remote tank?"

Back