Logo

Tach not working on AQ131

robj

Regular Contributor
"I just started up the engine

"I just started up the engine in my project boat for the first time. Engine ran great but the tach is not working. I replaced my original alternator with a single wire Delco and my points, condensor and ballast resistor with electronic Pertronix electronic ignition. Was wondering if any of these changes resulted on a non-functioning tach?

Thanx for your help.

Have a great day,

Rob"

"Where was your tach originall

"Where was your tach originally connected? It is usually a grey wire connected to the (-) of the coil, so make sure it is there."

you need to hook the tach lead

you need to hook the tach lead to the negative side of the pertronix coil. (-) That will give you a tach reading.......

Thanx for your help. The grey

Thanx for your help. The grey wire is connected to the negative side of the coil. Maybe the tach is toast. Could it have anything to do with the different alternator?

Thanx again.

Rob.

The alternator should not have

The alternator should not have anything to do with the tach not working. Check that the grey wire has continuity between the (-) of the coil and the back of the tach.

"There is only one wire on the

"There is only one wire on the negative side of the coil, that is the grey wire. There is continuity between the grey wire on the coil and the wire on the back of the tach. It is also getting power. Therefore can I conclude that the tach is toast? Want to make sure it is shot before I spend $100 + on a new one.

Thanx for all your help. Have a great day.

Rob."

"Sorry you are correct, the bl

"Sorry you are correct, the black wire from the Pertronix module is connected to the negative side of the coil also. So it sounds like everything is wired correctly and the tach is toast?

Thanx again and have a great day.

Rob."

"Before you buy another tach,

"Before you buy another tach, make sure the one you have is getting 12V + and it is also grounded. Your problem may just be a loose/broken wire or a blown fuse. Check the wiring diagram in the owner's manual to see how it is wired, though it is pretty straightforward."

Back