Logo

Chrysler 45 help

ocalaspeed84

"Just got a very used Chrysler

"Just got a very used Chrysler 45, don't know much about boat motors. It wont turn over, I put a new battery on it. Starter engages, and the person I bought it from says there was some sort of ignition problem. Serial # is--3636 Model 9631. Any help or direction would be tremendous. Thanks---

Howard"

"Howard, neither of those numb

"Howard, neither of those numbers looks like a model number for Chrysler.

They made 45 horse motors between 1970 and 1978 with model numbers that looked like (450 HA) etc.

If you ever want to get this running your first order of business is to pick-up a repair or service manual.

Chrysler has long been out of business and some parts will be quite challenging to locate. Finding someone to work on this motor will be close to impossible, depending where you are and quite possibly cost prohibitive if you do.

Consider it a cross between a project and a treasure hunt and see if you can get it going
"

"Actually Chrysler had a 45HP

"Actually Chrysler had a 45HP right from the beginning in 1965 when they bought West Bend. When you say it won't turn over, is it seized, or does it crank but not fire?

Best to start with a compression test before doing anything further. If it's low, it'll be a lot of time and money. If it cranks, and has reasonable compression it may not be too hard to get running again."

"Bill--

It cranks, but will

"Bill--

It cranks, but will not fire. When I say I don't know much about boat motors, let me update that by saying I know nothing about boat motors. All I want to do is get it running and take it down the river. No salt, no tides, just easy goin'. How do I do a compression test? Would pictures be helpful so you can see what I've got?

Thanks--Howard"

"I would say the first thing t

"I would say the first thing to do is check for spark, assuming it has a reasonable amount of compression to run. Get a spark tester from an automotive tool supply shop, or sometimes a larger hardware store might have them. Essentially it's just an adjustable spark gap with two electrodes, one attaches to a convenient piece of bare metal on the engine block, and the other end connects to the sparkplug wire. Tester is worth about $5.00 to $8.00

Set the gap for about 1/8 of an inch to start with, and crank the engine. You should have a nice blue-white spark in the gap when it fires. repeat the test on the other spark plug wire. If no spark, then we have to determine what ignition you have. Do the sparkplug wires run up under the flywheel, or do they go to a couple of ignition coils mounted on the side of the engine block?"

"I don't know what happene

"I don't know what happened to my post from yesterday, but anyways, remove the fuel line from the carb and see if it's getting fuel by cranking the engine and checking to see if gasoline dribbles into a tin can while cranking. If so, your carb could probably do with a good cleaning inside and out."

Back