Logo

b81 Evinrude 70hp Center Cylinder Overheating Issue

davegran

"Two respected outboard mechan

"Two respected outboard mechanics have told me of an overheating issue on the center cylinder of my 1981 70hp 3 cylinder Evinrude. They say that the water circulation around that cylinder can be improved by drilling a hole in one of the interior passages in the exhaust plate. Can anyone tell me the details of this modification? I've searched the archives but haven't found any answers so far. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave"

Hey Dave....
Direct your ques

Hey Dave....
Direct your question to Joe Reeves on here..he will know if anyone does....

"Tom,
Thanks for the headsup,

"Tom,
Thanks for the headsup, but I'm new to the board and I'm not sure how to do what you suggested. I don't see any access to a list of members.

Thanks,
Dave"

"Dave/Tom..... Sorry to say th

"Dave/Tom..... Sorry to say that I've never run into that problem, nor am I familiar with that drilling process you (Dave) mentioned. Should I come across anything, I'll get back to you."

"Thanks, Tom and Joe,
If I co

"Thanks, Tom and Joe,
If I could find a diagram of the water flow in that engine perhaps I could figure out the modification. I'm a retired race car mechanic so the actual work shouldn't be beyond me. I have the Seloc shop manual, but it doesn't depict the water flow. Are there any other sources of information you can point me to? Being retired I'm trying to save a buck or two wherever I can.

Thanks,
Dave"

Back