Logo

b93 Black Max 175hp Twins Power Bleed

chrisd

"I recently purchased a Trophy

"I recently purchased a Trophy 2502 w/Twin 175hp '93 Mercury OB's, Carborated.

I found out after the sale, that the engines were 60% power bleed off in general, 80% on one cylinder, with some scoring on the cylinders.

The engines work, and I would like to get through the boating season without having to rebuild them. It's a money issue.

Are there additives I can put in the gas, and or the Oil to help baby the engines for a while prior to a rebuild?

The Marina mechanic seems to think so, but I don't want to chance it?

Any other suggestions on babying the engines is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Chris"

"Mom always said if you don&#3

"Mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all......"

"There is no majic pill or sna

"There is no majic pill or snake oil out there to help your engines. Running a engine with worn or damaged rings will only cause more damage and possible complete failure. Buying a boat and not having the engines checked is foolish. Having a boat with twin 175s and a money problem is twice as foolish. Now I feel bad for saying that, but you had it coming."

"I am well aware of the situat

"I am well aware of the situation I am in!

I was asking for advise on working with what I have, not your opinion on my mistake!"

You could try running a little

You could try running a little oil in the gas Chris but it depends what you want to risk. The safest course of action is not to run them or at the very least limit the amount of running time. You may also try a compression test as a bench mark and continue testing after each use. If you notice big changes you'll know its time to shut her down. If you know your doing an entire rebuild then a little damage is tolerable I suppose but why make the problem worse if you don't have to right.

Good luck Norm

"Thank you Norm, that was help

"Thank you Norm, that was helpful.

The mechanic that I eventually got hold of that did the compression test said to run them gently, no full throttle, or hole shots, and they may be OK for a while.

His recommendation was to have them rebuilt, and not run them as well, like yours.

I was really looking to see if there were any additives on the market that I could put in the gas to slow any degradation, without damaging other components of the engines.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you, Chris"

There are different additives

There are different additives Chris but nothing I would trust. Once the damage is done its done.

"Chris, at this point a rebuil

"Chris, at this point a rebuild may consist of just cleaning up the cylinders and some new rings (if the pistons are otherwise ok).

If you run them you could toast the pistons completely and maybe the rods. If that happened you would be better off (cost wise) completely replacing the motors because the rebuild cost would be prohibitive. The rods on these go for about 240 bucks a piece at the discount places and you would need 6 for each motor...

Since these are 93's they must have been abused/neglected and run very hard to be in this kind of shape. They are still "relatively new" as far as outboards go.

Personally, I think, if you want to rebuild them, I would lay them up right now until the job can be done."

"Graham:

I spoke with the t

"Graham:

I spoke with the top Mercury OB repair outfit in our area yesterday, and he pretty much echoed your thoughts.

Since the mechanic in Michigan only did a bleed down test, and never opened the engines up, he wants to take a look inside before he passes judgment, so I will be taking the boat over there in the next week.

I will keep you posted once he gets inside.

Thanks for your assistance.

Chris"

Back