Logo

Location of an inline filter

D

dan tuinstra

" Hi! I have a custom-built g

" Hi! I have a custom-built gas tank, and I (how stupid can I be?) neglected to vacuum it out before installing. OK really stupid! The tank is under the front deck of a 16?Lund and the motor is a 93 merc 50 hp tiller. I am not removing the tank.

The problem is that little shavings are finding their way into the fuel pump and causing idle problems. I troll a bunch, which is only adding to the aggravation. At any thing above idle to WOT the motor runs great, at idle it doesn? run worth a hoot.

After discovering the shavings I installed an inline automotive filter after the squeeze bulb. Tonight I tore the filter, fuel pump, original merc in line filter and the squeeze bulb out of the motor and cut each apart. Every thing up to the last filter between the fuel pump and the carbs had shavings?. There must have been some residue in the line during the summer filter installation. However, no shavings in the last filter made me feel a little better about the condition the cylinders.

This summer we installed the filter between the Squeeze bulb and the fuel pump. We tried the filter on the tank side of the gas line, between the tank and the squeeze bulb. I couldn? get the bulb to pump up. So we put it on the other side, between the bulb and the F pump.

So now my question?. I want to install a better inline filter inbetween the tank and the squeeze bulb. Will this work? Or does it have to be after the squeeze bulb? I think I have seen boats set up with the filter between the tank and before the squeeze bulb?

Any recommendations for an inline filter?

Thanks in advance

dan "

Back