Logo

Sears Game Fisher

randall_b

I picked up a small 5 hp Sears

I picked up a small 5 hp Sears Gamefisher. It has a metal tag on the powerhead that says Tecumseh and a 6 digit code. I can not find any history of Tecumseh Products making these motors for Sears. Although I was able to get some small parts for the carb through Tecumseh (I used to work for them 25 years ago) It runs great and I would like to be able to get parts but the sears parts site does not recognize the number on the Tecumseh plate and I can not find a model or serial number any where else on the motor.

"Randall, Tecumseh made the po

"Randall, Tecumseh made the powerhead portion. The motor itself would have been made by ESKA for sears.

Eska made a number of the Sears models between 1968 and 1986 - with the 5 horse produced for each model year in that entire span.

If you post the numbers that you do have maybe I can cross-ref it to something more solid.

A model number for this motor would look like either:

217-58XXX or 217-59XXX (3 or possibly 4 more digits in place of the x's)"

"Graham,
Thanks for the help

"Graham,
Thanks for the help. There in lies my difficulty. I can not find a part number or serial on this motor. Do you know where it should be? If it was on a plat perhaps it has been knocked off."

"In most cases the plate was r

"In most cases the plate was right on the transom mount (as you look at the front of the motor).

If you absolutely can not find anything perhaps Tecumseh could help to an extent if you don't mind going on a bit of a "treasure hunt".

If you could get the stock number of the carb rebuild kit for your particular carb, then that can be cross ref'd to a specific model year (or at least down to 2 or 3 years).

So if the carb has a part number or some way to identify it, then you may be able to figure it out.."

"I'm betting that if you g

"I'm betting that if you go to www3.sears.com and enter in 217-585840 for a 7.5hp, the carb will be virtually the same. If you're going to rebuild anyway, you could take it apart now and compare to the diagram that this site will take you to, and then order the parts from them or visit the local lawn mower shop. Best and Ace Hardware both carry the points/condenser kit that fits these engines by the way.

I picked up a rebuild kit off of Ebay for around $9 but you should order a fuel pump element separately, as the kits don't include that and it's a "wear" item that you should consider after 30+ years of service and age.

-ted"

"OK, I know it's a late re

"OK, I know it's a late response, however...

As mentioned, Tecumseh made the motor and Eska manufactured the rest. You can probably find the corresponding Sears model number on this page: http://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/Model21759980-585861.htm

Sears still has many parts available, but many are not. Just got my old 5-horse gamefisher running yesterday and have been looking for info on correct carb adjustment and such when I found your post."

"Thank you Graham,
Yes, it is

"Thank you Graham,
Yes, it is exactly that - a 383A Tecumseh engine. That was the only number I could find on the motor. Nothing for engine model or SN. I used this engine # to determine the year. Thanks again. Very much appreciated."

This is a late reply just a li

This is a late reply just a little help.sears outboards were manufactured by west bend/mccullough formally known as (elgin) illinios a service manual may be obtained @abos marine publications intertech publishing corp/vintageoutboard.com

Back