Logo

43L Merc belt tension adjustment

R

Ryan A

"I have a 4.3L AlphaOne stern

"I have a 4.3L AlphaOne stern drive, 1990. For the first minute or so after starting, there is an obvious squeeling noise that sounds like belts or pulleys. However, puttering at low speed for a minute or so makes it go away. Then I can drive as much as I want noise-free. However, if I turn it off for a while, and restart (even with engine still hot), the noise is back for about a minute or less.
I noticed the other day that the belt to the alternator is a bit looser than the other belt. It appears that there is a "slide" tension that can easily be adjusted by loosening one bolt and pivoting the alternator away from the belt, therefore tightening it. Is it really that simple? Does it sound like this could eliminate the squeeling problem?"

"Ryan, Adjustment of the alte

"Ryan, Adjustment of the alternator belt is that simple. Just loosen the top bolt as well as the pivot bolt and pry the alternator away from the block to tighten the belt. Now tighten the top bolt first, and then the bottom belt.

When those motors get older (like yours), the main pully, as well as the waterpump pully get corrosion whisch wears out the belts quickly, and in doing so, makes them get loose. The belts also stretch."

"Ryan;
After tightening, you

"Ryan;
After tightening, you should be able to get about 1/2" max belt deflection at the longest straight run, with moderate thumb pressure. Not very scientific, but a good measure none the less.
Rod"

"I need to change both belts,

"I need to change both belts, I figured out the alternator belt but the power steering belt I can't see how to relieve tension so I can change it. There appears to be an Allen Head bolt going thru the power steering pump?????"

Back