Logo

1973 Ford 351 Windsor by Wachasaw PCM

clifmik

The boat is a restored 1973 Ca

The boat is a restored 1973 Carver. The engine is pulling oil from the filler into the spark arrester the dropping it on the intake. It has about 20 hours after rebuild. Dye test done with no leaks showing. No blow-by from filler. Oil pressure maintains at just under 40 pounds. Crank case holds 4 quarts and about 3/4 more for the filter. The dip stick is not correct for the engine. Was overfilled by about 1 and 1/2 quarts. Would that be enough to cause oil coming from the filler cap? Any other suggestions.

"Mike,
1.5 Qts. is a major le

"Mike,
1.5 Qts. is a major league overfill. It is better to run a Qt. down than overfill by a Qt. Why? Because overfilling the crankcase can raise the oil level inthe engine to the point where the crankshaft counterweights and connecting rods splash oil all over, whipping it into a froth cappuccino-lovers would appreciate. This high pressure can force oil into places it doesn't belong such as past seals and gaskets, in the combustion chamber(CC) because the rings skate on the foam, into and out of the spark arrestor(&the CC) via the crankcase breather valve, and out the filler cap & dip stick. Spongy, aerated oil is hard to pump. It starves the engine and critical lubricated surfaces. Bottom line too much oil is bad. I'm not a mechanic but my mother-in-law knows everything so I asked her."

Did you ever solve this? I hav

Did you ever solve this? I have twins doing the
exact same thing. Not overfilled though. And
not rebuilt. Thanks.

Back