Logo

87 PCM 351 rebuild

S

studioj

"I have a 1987 PCM 351 that un

"I have a 1987 PCM 351 that unfortunately was the victim of a shot fresh water pump. The engine overheated and it appears that head gaskets on both sides blew (one cylinder on the port side and 2 on the starboard are taking on water). I haven't torn the motor down yet so all my information is from observing motor operation. The motor will still run for short periods (lots of steam out the back for obvious reasons). The boat is not worth $7K for a new motor so I'm looking for a more modest solution to restoring the engine. From experience, is it likely that new head gaskets will fix the problem? If not and new heads are warranted, can cast iron street GT 40 heads be used? If so, are there specific things to be concerned about? I've seen aftermarket GT 40 style heads that seem to differentiate between hydraulic and roller cams. I'm told the PCM engines are rollor cam. What's the difference from the perspective of the head?"

take the heads and have them m

take the heads and have them magnafluxed. heve the block and heads resurfaced too if they are not cracked. when having the heads checked also check for bent valve stems. the engine is a roller cam. but the rocker arms are flat tappet. also check where the riser and manifold are connected. make sure of a good seal. if no resurface and re gasket

Back