Logo

Prop question

"I have a smaller diameter pin

"I have a smaller diameter pin drive prop for electric shift.... its a 17 pitch. What happens if I change it to a larger diameter prop. Also if I go from an alum prop to a stainless steel, will it hurt the engine? Will the larger prop hurt it even if its the same pitch?

(1968 2.5 4cyl)"

"Stainless doesnt flex like al

"Stainless doesnt flex like aluminum does, so you would notice a slight performance gain, however if you hit something it doesnt give before the prop shaft breaks either.

Increasing prop diameter is dependent on what size prop you can fit with adequate clearance between gear case and prop. you do not mention what diameter you currently have or what is leading you in search of a new prop. Most prop retailers have a sizing tool for your needs."

"I dont know the diameter of t

"I dont know the diameter of the one on it, I just know it is smaller. It is still a pin drive however as is the bigger one."

"Usually you will find the inf

"Usually you will find the information stamped on the prop example 14 1/2 X 19 the smaller number being diameter and larger the pitch. If you went from lets say a 13 X 17 you could if it will fit go to a 14 X 15 etc. There are a few websites that go into moer detail like www.westmarine.com or www.boatersworld.com

Hope this helps."

Well I know that they are both

Well I know that they are both pin drive OMC props. I also know mine is a 4cyl 2.5 engine and the one from the other boat is from a v8 350. It is about 3-4 inches larger in diameter but it fits the mount. I just want to know if it will hurt the engine or the outdrive.

"IMHO - 3-4" larger would

"IMHO - 3-4" larger would be too much prop for the 4 cylinder. It may not hurt the engine, it just wont ever get up to RPM"

Back