Logo

30 SX Overheated Possible Causes

pike

"Launched the other day and 3.

"Launched the other day and 3.0 SX overheated after ten minutes. Blue smoke all through the engine compartment, and heard knocking before shutting the engine down (when the alarm finally went off...). Weird thing is engine continued to run. This was 1st time out for the season, after winterizing last fall. Any ideas as to what might be the possible causes? From what I've seen, impeller, thermostat are likely. The knocking and the engine running after shutdown concern me though..."

"Pike, don't like the soun

"Pike, don't like the sound of this, thermostat prob stuck, engine overheated badly which is why it kept running (detonation possible even when ignition shut off because cylinder head is red hot. Knocking not good, prob rod bearings. Change thermostat see if engine will turn over and start, keep fingers crossed. If knocking persists you will need a teardown and overhaul."

"Thank you. I was afraid of t

"Thank you. I was afraid of that. It did turn over and start the next day and no knocking. Only ran it for a few minutes, though, at idle. Is that sufficient to see if heads were badly damaged? Bad news...I'll start with the thermostat, check the impeller, and get it out on the water to see about any more knocking."

Back