Logo

AQ131A Overheating Damage

cheesytaters

"I have an AQ131a with 275 Out

"I have an AQ131a with 275 Outdrive. I purchased the boat this spring, and proceeded to give it a full tune-up with points, plugs, wires, belts, etc. I took it out for the first time last weekend and it overheated. In my reading on this discussion board, El Pescador refers to the hose connector on the drive. I plan on replacing it, along with the impeller and cleaning out the exhaust. I have a Seloc Manual that has been helpful so far. My question is, what parts could possibly have been damaged by the overheating. I want to make sure I check everything that could possibly have been damaged before taking it out and causing more damage. Any help you can offer would be great."

how hot did you get the engine

how hot did you get the engine? Look for water in the oil.
Definately change the impeller and water inlet. Also make sure the heat exchanger is clean and clear.

"I don't think it ever got

"I don't think it ever got over 250. But I would run it a little bit, let it cool, run it again, cool, until I got back to the dock. Finally, It would crank, but not start. So, I am unsure how serious the damage is."

"yikes!!! if you get those bea

"yikes!!! if you get those bearings real hot, it will do serious damage. I had a similar issue with mine, but I shut it down at 240.
Do you have water in the oil?"

"I would run a compression tes

"I would run a compression test; and if the compression is good, then you will have to find why the engine is not starting (spark, fuel...?)."

"An overheated engine will som

"An overheated engine will sometimes not run due to vapor lock in the carbs or fuel lines. When the engine cools it will start right up.
I would be more worried about damage to the head. Do a compression test and watch for coolant in the oil, oil in the coolant, and coolant in the cylinders.

Jon"

Back